ClubRoadster.net banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
no your hard headed .
you nay not be convinced ,after all you had an SRT4
I have many share of cars in my lifetime beside the SRT-4, and I have raced SCCA autocross, and IHRA Bracket Racing as well. So if you want to challenge my skills let go ahead. Just because I have opinions on certain subject, it definitely not necessary for you to backfire on me even though you don't have any proof to back it up. First I started coming on here thinking it is a great forum, but then I'm getting 08 Bashing feedback and etc. from other members on the forums. So much for a welcome for the new members. :roll: So why don't we act like adult here and talk about subjects that's really important. This is a information board regarding about Miata, why not talk about it and dig deeper on information about what really work for our cars.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Dude!!! Let not jump out of the fire here. I see the photos, but I still don't see if the spoiler made any different with or without it. So your trying to prove something but it doesn't show us anything if it made a impact on the result of track times. So :-$ and show me these facts. Then I'll :-$ :-$ and be guilty from the true fact. I'm not trying to cause trouble, I just like to know the facts on the product they for make for specific cars . It no different than some of you that want to know the horsepower gain on different brands of intake and header before you buy it. I know I do. Why spent big $$$ on something if you don't get any result from? Come on now!! :roll:
Stop mouthing off about a product you have never even seen, let alone had experience with. If you know how to drive, one single corner with a wing vs. without a wing will make you a believer. There is no laptime comparison needed; when my car goes from an oversteering, scary mess in 3rd and 4th gear sweepers, to an understeering pig in the same corner, I know the wing is working. With a proper balance of splitter and wing angle and testing time, I have no doubt this wing would be worth at least a second, maybe more, if you have the power to utilize it. I have no intention of wasting a track session prove my point to an internet benchracer who has some bracket drag racing experience, either.

With three years of competitive kart racing, two years of participation with the Red Bull Driver's Search (West Coast runoffs 2004/2005) and two 2nd place overall finishes in the Miata Challenge time attack series, I'm not just some hooligan HPDE running around in low intermediate running my mouth about a placebo effect. I'm not driving's next prodigy, but I am a halfway decent driver, and when I say this wing works, I mean it. I'll go so far as to say this: If this wing were to magically disappear halfway through a lap at a track like Buttonwillow or Thunderhill, I would have a very big off-track excursion exiting the following corner.

Now for the real reason I came and found this thread again: My 2.5" risers finally shipped from APR and I got them installed today.

Without the risers, for comparison:

·
Registered
332 Posts
Well I'm glad to see someone on here showing some facts about the spoiler for the Roadster. This is the info I wanted to see and I wasn't get any from others.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You can also read this. http://949racing.blogspot.com/

Not the wing in question but more proof that downforce will help any car, including a miata. You would think someone with as much "experience" as you have would know this.
Well I know spoiler work on car at high speed, but their so many different design I've seen you can't help say does that design work. I've been looking up different design myself and I came across this spoiler which interest me. http://aeromotions.com/products/ Here's a video on one in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73-3epSENYg

·
Registered
490 Posts
This is the reason for your argument?

I don't even know how to reply. I should have never gotten into this in the first place. That is the problem with arguing with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

You are comparing apples to limes here. How can you even think about bashing (with no proof of your own) a static wing and then compare it to an active wing? You're right, you are hard to please, because you just keep bouncing around you don't even know what you actually can utilize.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
This is the reason for your argument?

I don't even know how to reply. I should have never gotten into this in the first place. That is the problem with arguing with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

You are comparing apples to limes here. How can you even think about bashing (with no proof of your own) a static wing and then compare it to an active wing? You're right, you are hard to please, because you just keep bouncing around you don't even know what you actually can utilize.

=D> =D> =D> =D> ..... BUMP FOR A GREAT PROVEN WING AT AN EVEN BETTER PRICE!!!!!

(Can an admin make a noobie section for 08 members only please?)

·
Registered
135 Posts
I thought it had to be higher to even get a clean shot at wind?
I thought so too, until I read this:

"There is a popular notion that, in order for an airfoil to function on a race car, the airfoil needs to be in clean, free-air at or above the rear roofline of the car. This is only a partially-true statement. On cars with solid roofs and sloping rear windows, the air that flows from the rear center edge of the roof will travel downward at an angle toward the airfoil. The problem here is that only the center section of the 2D airfoil will see this downward "push" of air, while the outer section of the 2D airfoil will see much less of this (it will see straighter, freer air)."

Blah, blah, blah, and then it finishes up with:

"Therefore, the 3D airfoil, when used in a sedan-type car and mounted below the roofline, is able to function more efficiently (and in a more balanced state) than a 2D airfoil."

So, based on this write-up, should I get the risers or not?
:-s

·
Registered
402 Posts
Without wind tunnel time, it's impossible to tell. Here are a couple of photos that demonstrate the wing's position in relation to the roof:

Broomstick laying across the leading edge of the wing, to the back edge of the roof:

I'd put the center of the element about 6" below the Miata's roofline.

·
The Boss
2,512 Posts
This wing looks GREAT! Especially on your car, Savington. Did you not have it the first Miata Challenge? I don't remember it.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
there was a pretty recent thread of an NC being windtunneled with top down, soft top up, and PRHT up.

The problem with the statement...

"the air that flows from the rear center edge of the roof will travel downward at an angle toward the airfoil"

...is that it doesn't (according to the threads). There's complete separation before it even goes down the window... so the "higher up" spoilers would be good it seems.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Jesus christ savington, are all those cars yours?
If so, you are living the life...
My roommates are as about insane as I am. Get two or three of us in the same garage and it always looks ridiculous.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts