ClubRoadster.net banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Garage Quinn Motors - GQM
2,847 Posts
Dude!!! Let not jump out of the fire here. I see the photos, but I still don't see if the spoiler made any different with or without it. So your trying to prove something but it doesn't show us anything if it made a impact on the result of track times. So :-$ and show me these facts. Then I'll :-$ :-$ and be guilty from the true fact. I'm not trying to cause trouble, I just like to know the facts on the product they for make for specific cars . It no different than some of you that want to know the horsepower gain on different brands of intake and header before you buy it. I know I do. Why spent big $$$ on something if you don't get any result from? Come on now!! :roll:
Stop mouthing off about a product you have never even seen, let alone had experience with. If you know how to drive, one single corner with a wing vs. without a wing will make you a believer. There is no laptime comparison needed; when my car goes from an oversteering, scary mess in 3rd and 4th gear sweepers, to an understeering pig in the same corner, I know the wing is working. With a proper balance of splitter and wing angle and testing time, I have no doubt this wing would be worth at least a second, maybe more, if you have the power to utilize it. I have no intention of wasting a track session prove my point to an internet benchracer who has some bracket drag racing experience, either.

With three years of competitive kart racing, two years of participation with the Red Bull Driver's Search (West Coast runoffs 2004/2005) and two 2nd place overall finishes in the Miata Challenge time attack series, I'm not just some hooligan HPDE running around in low intermediate running my mouth about a placebo effect. I'm not driving's next prodigy, but I am a halfway decent driver, and when I say this wing works, I mean it. I'll go so far as to say this: If this wing were to magically disappear halfway through a lap at a track like Buttonwillow or Thunderhill, I would have a very big off-track excursion exiting the following corner.

Now for the real reason I came and found this thread again: My 2.5" risers finally shipped from APR and I got them installed today.

Without the risers, for comparison:

Is that a Factory 5 I spy in the background there? :wink:

·
CR.net Supporter
374 Posts
****, I wish they had fabbed up the Miata specific mounts when I bought mine last year :? I shouldn't complain though - I got it for $550 + $85 for the risers + shipping :)

Installation wasn't difficult - the most difficult part was measuring 10 times before marking and drilling the lid. I bought a junker lid and stripped and rattle canned it semi-flat black.

I can attest to the functionality of the wing. While I didn't do much testing with angles, I did find that @ ~7* I was seeing an average of 10-12* increased heat in the rear tires - nuff said :roll:

I mounted it as far back on the lid as possible and there is no evidence that the lid has flexed. It really doesn't matter since there is no friggin way it could tear off the lid the way I mounted it:

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Been running the standard low mount for the last few events. Not convinced the 2.5" risers are really necessary. Nice actually being able to subtly alter the handing balance with wing angle changes. I usually run the center about -5° relative to the ground. In this pic, it's about 0° which is higher drag but max downforce. Going for a lap record..

Video from that day
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N_5Xk8xBrqM

·
Registered
1,328 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Emilio, do you still use the fiberglass trunk with the CF wing? I remember your previous wing mounted to the car. Curious how it was holding up.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Yup. Autokonexion FRP trunk. No problems. The Autokonexion hood, OTOH, will have to come off at some point. Much too flexible and I never liked the silly oversize "ramps" before the vents.

61 - 71 of 71 Posts