ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to cross-post this in the GB forum. My apologies.

Take 4 lbs of unsprung weight off each front corner with our new kit. It puts an aluminum four piston Wilwood caliper on your stock rotors. Fits under almost every stock wheel, too!

Now available!

Well, sort of. We've opened up the group buy. If we can get a dozen orders for these in the next month, we'll do a limited run of them. If they're wildly popular, they might make it into regular stock. The group buy will run until May 7. Since we'll be placing orders at that point, there will not be the chance to send the traditional "OMG I know it ended last week but I missed it can I still get in?" email.

If you want to check clearance, here are the templates:
9" 1.6 rotors
10" 1.8 rotors
The 11" Sport template will follow once the CAD work is done on the bracket. It looks as if a 10mm spacer will allow almost any wheel to be used with the smallest and lightest 9" option. 13" should also be possible in that case.

Flyin' Miata Little Big Brake Kit

Product description

We know that Miata owners are always looking for ways to shed weight. Autocrossers in particular. After seeing a custom minimum weight brake system on a National level CSP car, we figured we could come up with something for everyone. So we knocked 4 lbs of unsprung weight off each front wheel by replacing the stock cast iron calipers with aluminum Wilwood parts. Along with the weight loss, we also ended up with a four-piston caliper for nice even pad pressure. And yes, we said 4 pounds of weight per corner.

The aluminum Powerlite caliper is a fairly new design from Wilwood that`s an excellent match to a quick Miata. It`s compact enough to fit around the small Miata discs, but is nice and stiff and gives even pressure across the 5 square inch pad. Porterfield, Hawk, Carbotech, Performance Friction and Wilwood all offer a full range of pads to choose from. We ship them with a set of BP10 Wilwood pads, which are a good street/autocross choice. Since the pistons are properly sized, the stock pedal feel will not change. Brake balance will not be dramatically affected unless the pads act differently than your previous ones.

These are not intended to be super heavy duty track brakes. For that, we recommend our four wheel big brake kit with the heavier Dynalite calipers and two-piece rotors. These are a good street, autocross and light track option. They have slightly better heat management than stock brakes due to the aluminum caliper, but rampaging V8s on slicks will want more.

Available to fit any 1990-05 stock Miata brake rotor. However, there`s a catch. On the smaller rotors, the caliper sits very close to the wheel mounting surface. You will have to check clearance on your wheels to confirm the caliper will clear. The smallest 9" rotor may require a spacer - a 10mm spacer will solve almost any clearance problem. The 10" rotor setup fits many more wheels, including almost all factory wheels after 1994 - yes, including 14" ones - as well as popular aftermarket ones such as 15x8 or larger 6ULs. 11" should work with almost anything.

Includes calipers, pads, brackets and lines. You will keep your existing rotor. If you`re changing rotor size, you`ll need to pick up a set of the appropriate rotors.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks as if this is going to become a standard FM product due to the excellent response so far. We'll get those brackets in production shortly so we'll be able to ship as soon as possible, although it will still likely be at least 4 weeks to get ramped up and get the parts in hand. The price will not change.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
will these fit with 14x7 +19mm enkei rpf1's?
Check with the templates. We don't have any of those wheels here. The largest size might, the smaller ones are actually harder to fit.

We're expecting the brackets to arrive any day now. Then we should be able to start shipping them.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Think revlimiter posted in the thread on m.net, saying the 10" would just barely fit with the 19mm RPF1. 5mm spacer needed for worry free install. 9", not a chance. Forgot the verdict on the 11".

Sent using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
225 Posts
Ever figure out if they'll fit? I don't have a printer on me at the moment.
No mate, haven't gotten a chance yet.

Think revlimiter posted in the thread on m.net, saying the 10" would just barely fit with the 19mm RPF1. 5mm spacer needed for worry free install. 9", not a chance. Forgot the verdict on the 11".

Sent using Tapatalk 2
Link please?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts