ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a good selection of big brake kits for the front of the Miata. Heck, we've had various versions since 1995, and currently offer a number of exclusive options. But there's never been a good option for the rear before.

We took the Wilwood Powerlite caliper - the same one used in our Little Big Brake Kit - and mounted it to a custom bracket on the rear. We sized it to work with the factory brake rotors from 1994-02 and 2001-05, to keep rotor costs down. This also makes it a drop-in upgrade for almost every big brake kit on the market.

But the parking brake has traditionally been the problem for this sort of setup. So we're using a custom caliper that has a cable-actuated parking brake with almost no weight penalty. That's right, a lightweight four-piston rear caliper with an integrated parking brake.

Now, we're not going to claim the parking brake is as strong as stock. It'll hold the car on a mild slope. It's not going to work for drifting. If you park in San Francisco, you'll need to leave the car in gear. But it's good enough to make the kit SCCA legal.

I've run this setup on my 400 hp V8 Miata at Laguna Seca quite happily as well as on the street. When paired with our Little Big Brake kit on the front, it's a really nice, light setup with inexpensive consumables, a firm pedal and very good braking power.

The Track version (no parking brake) is $495. That includes the calipers, pads (Wilwood E compound), lines and brackets. We have these in stock and ready to ship.

The Street version (with parking brake) is $595. That includes the calipers, pads (Wilwood E compound), lines, brackets and custom cables. We're waiting for some more calipers on this one, it will likely be 6 weeks before they're able to ship.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think we'd be able to use the 1.6 rotors. They're really small, the caliper doesn't clear anything. We'd probably have to go with the 1.8 ones. In that case, you'll probably need a small spacer to clear a 7.5 6UL.

I don't have the SCCA rulebook. Would a smaller/thinner rotor be legal in STS? I've heard from others that it would be CSP and up.

·
The colder Adam
2,194 Posts
For STS, you can only upsize rotors. Lighter is Ok, but it's dimensions still must be minimum OEM spec or larger l. If the weight reduction is there with upsizing, I think you'd have something. Also, if the 4 wheel LBBK for the 1.6 had a 1.6 sized rotor up front and a 1.8 or sport sized rear, you'd have something I think. Lots of work is done to shift the brake bias rearward in that class (without a valve since that is not legal). Some folks are leaving the fronts stock and going 1.8 in the rear. If you could do that plus the sweet Wilwood calipers all around, that would be pretty sweet for STS, but the the 7.5" 6UL is pretty much the spec wheel for the class.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If my last post seems a bit confused, it's because it was :) I was discussing a variant of this with someone else and answered as if we were still on that subject. My bad.

This kit is designed to use either stock 1.8 or Sport rear rotors. You could definitely mix and match - if you want 1.6 fronts and 1.8 rear with the Powerlite calipers all around, no problem. We already have the 1.6 size front LBBK.

As for the wheel clearance, there's nothing we can do about that as long as we continue to use stock rotor sizes. The dimensions of the stock rotor dictate the location of the caliper. On the 1.6 sizes, the caliper ends up very close to the center of the wheel so you get into trouble with clearance at the mounting surface of the wheel. If you're allowed to run spacers, that can help a lot and I think a 10mm spacer would sort that out. We will have affordable Miata-specific spacers coming out soon.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We are doing 1.6 sizes up front, with a fairly good weight loss. Even going to the 1.8 front size would drop 2 lbs off the front of the car overall.

For 1.8 in the rear, you wouldn't need a full 10mm spacer. I have 15x8 6ULs on my car with that size brakes, and I need a 3mm spacer. I can confirm what would be needed for a 7.5 if I can find the two that we have at FM!

·
Registered
324 Posts
For 1.8 in the rear, you wouldn't need a full 10mm spacer. I have 15x8 6ULs on my car with that size brakes, and I need a 3mm spacer.
What offset on the 15x8 6UL? There have been multiple offset in the past.

I was really hoping this wouldn't need a spacer for the +36mm offset on a stock 94 brake rotors.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The wheels date from 2011, which I believe is the current offset. +36? The 11" clears just fine, the 10" requires that 3mm spacer.

I would love it if we had some choice as to the location of the caliper. But we don't. So that's what it is.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Kit prices:

I need to come up with snappier names, but here you go. If you don't want the parking brake capability, knock $100 off these prices.

4-wheel Little Big Brake kit with 4-piston rear calipers and parking brake
FM part 14-16170
without proportioning valve (for 2001-05 ABS cars and autocrossers with class restrictions): $995
with proportioning valve (recommended) $1045

Includes:
Wilwood Powerlite 4-piston calipers front and rear
Wilwood Polymatrix E pads
stainless braided lines front and rear
parking brake cables
note - no rotors included
available for 9", 10" or 11" front rotors
available for 10" or 11" rear rotors
rotor sizes can be mixed and matched if you want to mess with bias, no charge

4-wheel big brake kit with 4-piston rear calipers and parking brake
FM part 14-16220
without proportioning valve (for 2001-05 ABS cars and autocrossers with class restrictions): $1324
with proportioning valve (recommended) $1374

Includes:
Wilwood Dynalite 4-piston calipers and Wilwood BP-10 pads front
Wilwood Powerlite 4-piston calipers and Wilwood Polymatrix E pads rear
two-piece 11" front rotors
one-piece 11" rear rotors
parking brake cables

Big Mama Jama Brake Kit (contains 20 pistons!)
4-wheel big brake kit with 6-piston front calipers and 4 piston rear calipers and parking brake
FM part # not yet available
without proportioning valve (for 2001-05 ABS cars and autocrossers with class restrictions): $1724
with proportioning valve (recommended) $1774

Includes:
Wilwood Superlite 6-piston calipers and Wilwood BP-10 pads front
Wilwood Powerlite 4-piston calipers and Wilwood Polymatrix E pads rear
two-piece 11" front rotors
one-piece 11" rear rotors
parking brake cables

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah, I'm a bit behind on that. You should be able to use the front LBBK templates, the only difference is that the parking brake mechanism takes an extra 3/4" or so of room at the top.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Great thanks Keith. I already have the front templates. So if use the 11" front template that should be close to the 10" rear with parking brake.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Lots of talk for the na. Will my 15x8 6UL fit for a 2002 nb? Really wanting to get rid of the rear caliper design!

Great work Keith. Love the work at Flyin'!!!!

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
turboroach, use the 10" template if you're going to use 10" rotors. I'll have rear ones up soon, but based on my experience fit is almost identical.

The 11" will fit under a 15x8 6UL no problem. The 10" will need a 3mm spacer. Good wheel to ask about, it's what I've been using for my testing.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Cost was a huge part of it.

It looks as if we're going to have red as an option. No word on price yet, I'm still waiting on that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts