ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
I wanna go fast
2,781 Posts
Holy....wow....that's nice but expensive !

·
Registered
219 Posts
I gotta chuckle at FM somtimes. Afew years ago I asked if they would ever bring a suspension kit that didnt involve ground controls and random shocks. I was told they had no plans since the gc combo worked so well. Now they have the Vmax. They also had listed on the website the disco potato, 2860, didnt give good results on the miata. And now they are using it with a retarded price tag.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Does anyone even buy turbo gear from FM anymore since BEGI just dominated the entry market? Honestly I don't see a point -- it's all severely overpriced.

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
But you actually get your whole order from FM. ;) BEGi uses the trickle-ship method.

Not to get in an argument over which is better. I have parts from both vendors on my car.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Does anyone even buy turbo gear from FM anymore since BEGI just dominated the entry market? Honestly I don't see a point -- it's all severely overpriced.
I have completed turbo from FM, they are excellent and stand behind there product, and they have the support if you have problem, installation is very easy step by step, expensive but i love FM.

·
Supporting Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
needs lower pricing.
agreed considering that the only noticable diff is the external wastegate... and they dont even give the size of it. Hell the have a range from 35-60mil and they dont offer what ever spring you want... unless they (FM) emails you about it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't see how anyone figures FM is more expensive than BEGI, the voodoo kits are very similarly priced as far as entry level kits are concerned. There customer service and product quality are excellent, I have an FM manifold, down pipe, cast turbo outlet, fuel rail and happy meal clutch. I have also purchased from Bell and have no complaints, I can't really comment on Bell's product quality because I have bought things like injectors which they obviously don't manufacture.

Yes the FMIIR is pricey, but you have to consider what you get, a complete bolt on kit, with a full standalone ecu that is capable of 500hp? On a dollar per HP basis you gotta admit that's not bad.

Just my. 02¢

Jim j

·
Registered
459 Posts
sure, its capable of that, but most guys are looking to bolt up a good kit to their cars and just drive it.

For the Miata, the 'safe' limit is what? 225ish whp from what ive read? Is the 250whp made by the FMII safer because of the Hydra?

·
Registered
13 Posts
sure, its capable of that, but most guys are looking to bolt up a good kit to their cars and just drive it.

For the Miata, the 'safe' limit is what? 225ish whp from what ive read? Is the 250whp made by the FMII safer because of the Hydra?
I think it is more accurate to say the "safe limit for a stock miata bottom end" is 225-250whp, there are plenty of 400 whp+ miata's, v8 and turbo. If you add the cost of a clutch/flywheel, 6 speed, stronger diff, and build your bottom end you could have a 450+ whp Miata for 10k, right in line with what most threads say it'll cost except you get the benefit of a bolt on kit, one stop shopping at FM for your engine, clutch, suspension and chassis stiffening. For someone that wants to build a fast street car it's a nice easy way to go.

Jim J

·
Administrator
15,606 Posts

The safe limit is quite a bit higher than that. It's all in the tune. I wouldn't hesitate to take my stock motor to 300whp if i had the turbo to support it. As it is, i'm shooting for 270whp, and it'll be just fine.

I'm thinking this over. I already have a hydra and can do a 3" exhaust for cheap. This would not be a huge investment after i sell off the rest of my Big Enchilada stuff.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
FM and BEGI have their own markets... FM can compete in the lower market if they wanted to, but they cater to the higher-end clients, who have 30g to drop on a V8 swap by them... or rather, the clientele of BEGI won't cater to. It's been this way since they split no?

Why bite into another market when they have the potential to lose, for a north american only operation, the only route to stay afloat against the cheaper overseas alternative is upwards. FM isn't wrong in the way they work their business.

I had a FM kit from them, top notch components, top notch customer service, they shipped me 2 grommets when they did an update of their hardware, because the ones shipped on my order happen to have been possibly poor quality. I have not even installed it after I parted my NB. Even if I had to pay more, I would trust FM again.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
FM and BEGI have their own markets... FM can compete in the lower market if they wanted to, but they cater to the higher-end clients, who have 30g to drop on a V8 swap by them... or rather, the clientele of BEGI won't cater to. It's been this way since they split no?

Why bite into another market when they have the potential to lose, for a north american only operation, the only route to stay afloat against the cheaper overseas alternative is upwards. FM isn't wrong in the way they work their business.

I had a FM kit from them, top notch components, top notch customer service, they shipped me 2 grommets when they did an update of their hardware, because the ones shipped on my order happen to have been possibly poor quality. I have not even installed it after I parted my NB. Even if I had to pay more, I would trust FM again.
I don't own products from either, but I find it awfully amusing how you seem to think that BEGIs products are somehow lower-end or are of lower quality. FM doesn't even make a tubular manifold or separated gases downpipe (easy **** that you should expect when you're paying 5.5k for a kit). I'm glad you had a good experience with FM, but most of their products cater to the wine and cheese m.net crowd who will pay more for less.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I don't own products from either, but I find it awfully amusing how you seem to think that BEGIs products are somehow lower-end or are of lower quality. FM doesn't even make a tubular manifold or separated gases downpipe (easy **** that you should expect when you're paying 5.5k for a kit). I'm glad you had a good experience with FM, but most of their products cater to the wine and cheese m.net crowd who will pay more for less.
I did not specifically say BEGi is a lower end alternative, hell, their S5 and up would be an awesome setup if I ever went the route of a no budget setup. I am just also suprised that its only BEGi and FM being compared here, no one's bringing up ARTech either? More like, putting consideration into the way they conduct themselves both online and through their own events, its no suprise that they cater to that market now is it? So FM certainly can charge the prices they set, because they know their customer will pay for it.

The choices are there for the customer, agree?

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
I did not specifically say BEGi is a lower end alternative, hell, their S5 and up would be an awesome setup if I ever went the route of a no budget setup. I am just also suprised that its only BEGi and FM being compared here, no one's bringing up ARTech either? More like, putting consideration into the way they conduct themselves both online and through their own events, its no suprise that they cater to that market now is it? So FM certainly can charge the prices they set, because they know their customer will pay for it.

The choices are there for the customer, agree?
I'm not really sure what it is you're saying here but I think you missed my point.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts