ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys! i'm new here from socal! i've always been into mazda cars and i currently own a 2006 mazdaspeed 6 on bc coilovers and XD9s. ever since i owned my first mazda (a regular ford-built mazda6 lol) i've told myself i will one day have a miata as my secondary car. HOWEVER, i have a problem...

...my current car is a PITA to 'stance' from what i've gleaned in my 2 years owning it. many mazda guys know Rhoadblock and his car, but i have no where NEAR the amount of funds to get my car to where his is. i know that everyone has to put in the necessary time to make their car a true peice of work, but i'm finding out that my car is in a niche so small that i have issues finding help out here in socal as most ms6 owners are on the east coast. oh and as we all know the speed6 takes premium gas, so i might as well be pumping the gas into my asshole when i go to the pump.

anywho this is where i'm at: the new work rims are going to be fully redone no matter what i end up doing, but in your experience how much would i miss this car if i sold it and picked up a miata? i'm looking into the 1998-2005 range and the benefits are:

-drop top for gorgeous summer days
-better mpg
-smaller (or NO) monthly payments
-no more premium gas
-saving money on gas/payments frees up money to work on the car with.

so to restate what i really want to know: do you love your miata more than you could ever love a speed6?

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
Having never had or driven your 6 I can't answer your question. :( I did have an MX-6 and I loved that car. But I wanted to do open track and aftermarket parts were hard to find. I got a Camaro for that. Anyway, I love my Miata (1990) and it's completely trackable too, so I'm happy. "How much would you miss a car" is a question only you can answer. In my (gulp!) 20 years of car ownership history I've owned many cars that I've loved or felt passionate about - but I don't "miss" any of them. They came into my life for a reason, I enjoyed them, for a multitude of reasons they left my life, I found another car. It's never been a be-all end-all thing for me. YMMV of course.

Remember if you adjust the timing on a Miata for better "performance" (more for throttle response than anything) it's recommended you run higher octane gas... But you'll still get 30 mph on the highway so... I had to set mine back to 10 degrees for a smog test and I've been fine with 87 octane and happy to keep the prices at the pump low. Hope this helps?

Welcome to CR and thanks for introducing yourself! Keep us posted on what you do and what Miata you choose.

Chris

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey guys sorry for the late response!

well i guess to make my question more specific: is there anyone here who has gone from a fairly fast car to miata that can share their experience? my speed6 has the gt package which has a lot of nice features i'll be giving up :/ but the horsepower is a loss i'm new to. anyone care to share what they had before their miata?

·
Registered
102 Posts
had a few cars myseld includeind a evo 9. miatas aint no chump what it lacks in raw hp it makes it up in power to weight ratio. sure as hell dont miss the shitty mpg :)

·
Registered
933 Posts
had a few cars myseld includeind a evo 9. miatas aint no chump what it lacks in raw hp it makes it up in power to weight ratio. sure as hell dont miss the shitty mpg :)
This except I when from miata to WRX and I miss my miata both its a lot more fun and hell of mpg I used to get about 23-25 city but I would step on it now in the wrx its about 13-16 city going slow lol hwy miata vs wrx prefer the wrx feel a lot more comfty

·
Registered
7,491 Posts
So you're debating loss of HP and loss of "newer" car niceties. Yes, you will experience both if you sell your 6, and you'll especially notice it if you go for an NA over an NB.

I love my 90 base model. It's so simple, and it has no power, but it's handling is so fun.
And I hate to say it but I daily drive it to keep miles off my better cars - my 2003 3/4 ton diesel and my 1999 BMW M Coupe. The truck is rated at 500 ft/lbs of torque, has leather seats, nice sound system, power everything... And the Coupe... Well I dont have to explain that to you, do I? ;)

My other car is a 1996 Camaro Z28 that's a pure race car. 330 HP.

The Miata just isn't any of those other vehicles for me and I still love it.
If you're worried that much about lack of power, I think you should spend some time in one before you buy. Do you know anyone with one that would give you at least some passenger seat time? I guess I just drive mine like the momentum car that it is and hardly ever do I bemoan it's lack of power. That's just not what that car is about, for me. It's about a fun car that gets 30 mpg on the freeway, is cheap to insure and register, and fun to drive.

Another NA driver waved at me the other day. I waved back. We don't know each other. If I see another Coupe
(M or otherwise), I never get a return wave. That's another part ofthe fun of the Miata.

Hope this helps!

Chris

·
Registered
40 Posts
Welcome. I agree though a pop up headlight first gen is the way to go... Gotta keep it old school, well medium old school.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I can relate to your question I had a 500hp Trans Am WS6 and every SLP bolt on I could find, and a 250 shot of Nitrous just in case. It was a fully built LT1, made to be in the Texas mile and aimed at the 200mph club. I got into A&P school and that took a bit of cash on my end (30k). The 1st miata I got was the 90 model with a custom paint job, hard top and 1.6 with no mods. I did the wheels and braces under the car then intake with bigger injectors and was a blast to drive but still a loss of power. I test drove a 04 MSM and it had a bit of a difference in power but had a salvage title so I passed it up. I drove the T/A to fill the HP missing from the miata and after a while the wife said one has to go. Needless to say the miata was rear ended while sitting at a red light and insurance paid a good chunk so I set my sights for a MSM, sold the T/A to help with the killer student loans and found a 04 MSM. I put a mere 100k miles on it in 3 years found a balance of power handeling and then my daughter (Holley) showed up. I sold the 04 msm with 124k mi. just so I wont have to put time into maintenance down the road and spend time with Holley I just picked up a 26k mi. 05 MSM and put all my speed parts I pulled from the 04 onto it. I love it, premium fuel is up there for the MSM but I can live with 30mpg so its no big deal to me plus it just over 10 galons to fill up. Listen to the turbo spool and BOV sing is well worth it to me.

·
Registered
43 Posts
:hello kitty:Going from a mustang, then driving a RX8 for about two weeks. I let my hubby drive it after I realized how much of a gas hog it is. It drove wonderfully, but sucky gas mileage. I wrecked my Suv and finally got a miata first gen. Out if all the cars I've owned, the miata is still my favorite. It may not have the speed, but it handles the road wonderfully. It all depends on what you want. If you're going for speed, you need to look at what you want in order to make your decision. I love fast cars but I do just fine with Lil Red. Wouldn't trade her for anything.

·
Registered
180 Posts
have you driven the miata you are thinking about, NA-NC have different appeals for sure. i had a 6 forever that i put way too much money into, and have had 3 Miata's since i stopped having to daily that car.

Size is the biggest change, and that's not big for many. but i used to drive people place, i enjoy driving, but dropping down to the 2 seater limited that. as well, though the top down is damn nice here, the gf/wife hates that it's so loud in the car....tired a trip up to Laguna Seca and we were horse by the time we got there.

you are welcome to pick my brain, i'm in OC if you're local. there wasn't anything i didn't do to the 6, though not a speed, and you can drive my Miata around for a while for all i care, it's a weekend car so just sits in the garage now.

...welcome to CR

1 - 20 of 21 Posts