ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Supporting Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
oook so lately since its been hella cold out here in germany, i noticed that whenever i change gears. im either grinding horribly or i cant get into the gear at all (mainly 2nd, 5th and Rev).:cry2:
would this be my syncros going out?

if so, is it easier to replace the sync's or just replace the whole tranny. i know either way the trans is gonna need to be dropped.

·
Registered
945 Posts
Wish I could help but I've never had these problems before. GL to ya!

I'm guessing the entire trans would be easier but you will taking a gamble on the parts inside it. The labor for syncros can be high and it depends how many you knackered.

I couldn't get into reverse on cold mornings so I replaced my broken shifter bushing and changed the trans fluid and turret fluid. This worked great. Obviously you have a bigger problem though.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Syncros are not your problem. It takes a LOT of abuse to kill syncros. Either your clutch is not fully engaging, or the shift forks are bent. I would guess your slave cylinder is leaking, causing poor clutch engagement.

Look on the pass. side of the trans. There will be a cylinder about 6 inches long, with a metal line coming into one end, and a rubber boot on the other end with a piston actuating the pressure plate. Push back the boot (Brake fluid, which is the same as clutch fluid, will remove paint BTW), and check for moisture. If it's damp (or full of fluid as mine was) the slave needs replaced. About $50 job, don't forget to bleed the clutch. You may be able to get away with not adjusting the clutch pedal afterwards, but if you need to, miata.net has a writeup on it, very easy job.

New shifter bushings, boots, and fluid would be a good idea regardless. 6speeds are picky when it comes to fluid. Check out miata.net or search here for more info on preferred fluid.

6speeds can handle 350whp turbo track cars, unless you beat the **** out of the transmission for no reason, it should not have internal issues.

EDIT: If you did manage to kill a trans in 66k (which I doubt), buy another 6spd and call it a day. Labor on trans work alone will probably put you in the red. Sell the other box to someone who needs trans parts for their track car.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Check the slave cylinder...your symptoms are classic slave issues..next in line would be the clutch master...or if you are pretty handy and only want to do the job once, change them both. parts are cheap..40-60 for the combo plate..

·
Supporting Member
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well just got the clutch master and slave cylinders replaced, along with the shift boots. I noticed right away that the shifting felt more solid, HOWEVER it still feels a little notchy.....
Any ideas?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts