ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hows it going guys? I wanted to introduce myself to the boards and start expanding my research here. My name is Ryan and I am from outside Chicago and just bought my new project a week ago. Its a Red 1994 Miata with Black Top, 5 Speed with stock 1.8L engine with ~181,000 miles on it. I bought it from a guy a little south from me for a steal, I am not sure if mommy & daddy we're a little upset at it taking up space or what but I got it for.... $800.00, yep $800.00.

Pros:
~ Black Top is few months old, no holes/tears/leaking
~ New Tires ~1000 miles
~ New Calipers
~ New Rotors
~ New Pads
~ Megan EZ Street Coilovers ~ 1000 Miles
~ NIB Upper/Lower Rear Energy Suspension Bushings
~ Spare set of Stealies: Black w/ Chrome Lip & old Mazda Logo, tires just worth burning
~ No accidents, solid rustless frame with Undercoating

Cons:
~ Intermittent Engine Knocking
~ Slow Clutch Leak from line or Slave
~ Rocker Rust
~ Rear CA Bushing gone
~ Clearcoat practically gone

I have owned and built 2 Nissan 240sx's that I have owned a helped in building up a few other friend's cars, mainly 240's. I spun a bearing in my last one a little over a year ago and had to sell it cheap as hell because it was my daily and I needed to buy another one quickly. I went to an event up in Wisconsin last year, one of the last of the year, and I realized how much I missed drifting and needed to get a new project, and it was time to decide what. I met a friend of a friend who had a FC Rx7 and started researching them and almost bought one, funny story is this guy I met actually bought one of the FC's I was looking at on CL, small world. Then I added juststance on FB and they started posting a whole lot of miatas, and I saw a few on the track at the last even and they started to grow on me seeing their potential. To be honest I used to despise them, but with a little work they can be a nice little toy. I decided to pick one up and wasn't planning too for a few months but this one fell into my lap and I had to jump on it. I plan on it being a street/drift car and plan on doing a few autocross runs here and there with my friend when they go up, non-comp... just for fun.

Here are a few pics of my last 240:

My friend Baldy has someone that is going to hook me up on some parts this week, which includes:

~ Long Block with a Checked/Cleaned/Surfaced Head with ARP Head Bolts, Starter/Alternator/PS Pump & Res, Misc. brackets
~ Fidanza Flywheel w/ New Friction Surface
~ Upgraded Clutch (Brand unknown right now)
~ Lightweight Pulleys
~ "Baller" Sparkplug wires (Brand unknown right now)
~ Motor Mounts (Brand unknown right now)

for.... $300.00, just to clear out his garage because he sold his miata a bit back and has no need for them. Another steal in my eyes, Headwork alone was $250.00, flywheel new is $400 plus resurface cost, etc etc.

My plan right now for the short run is to pull my current engine, swap the head and other parts from the new doner engine (block I heard is pretty much crap) and change all seals, gaskets, plugs, 02 sensor, fluids, etc. At this time I also will do the Exhintake mod with the cam from my head, set timing up to 14*, and do the DIY Randall Style Intake Mod & Coolant Reroute. Also seeing the exhaust is hacked up, leaking and melted the rear bumper, I have decided to go with the Good-Win Racing RoadsterSport 3 Catback Exhaust. I would put headers and testpipe in but cops here are assholes and the exhaust is loud as is, so I will have to keep noise levels down. After I get it driving, future plans is Front Sway Bar & Endlinks, Rear Diff w/ Mounts, Cage & Seat and upgrade to a better tracking set of Coilovers. Once I get her drift ready, practice practice practice, then look at Forced Induction or engine swaps because this car is hard enough to drift based on wheelbase, let alone underpower from the stock 1.8.

Look forward to creeping the page, researching and learning all I can and get driving. If you guys have any questions, comments, etc. feel free to post!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
"Funny" story after buying the miata:

So on the way back from picking her up, mind you its about 50 miles away. She wound up overheating... Twice and my battery light came on, it filled up the overflow passed full and was smokin'. We stopped and topped her off and let her cool down. We would up getting off the highway and took the streets the rest of the way. A few miles out from my house I tell my buddy that my cluster lights were barely visible and the reflection of headlights on my lead car are not all that bright either. As the light turned green, I took off in first and as I hit 1500 it started to buck like a bull and my buddy was like "yep battery is dead". Pull in to a local community college (barely) and contimplate the last mile of road 'till we get home. Try to start her, nothin. Agree we're towing it... My lead car goes to get straps and a little bit of time goes by and I try to start it for sh*ts 'n giggles, AND IT STARTS, my buddy in the car says DRIVE! I turn her off and decide to wait for them to get back. My lead car gets back and as soon as hes behind me I turn it on and gun it, and you hear "OH SHHH" from outside... My buddies got out of the car still thinking were towing and hopped back in. Im goin' 50mph, lights off, with him behind me staggered to the side with high beams on. I pull down a long street along highway and gun it to 70mph (road was empty) figuring if its going to die i'll coast home. We got home okay and shes sitting pretty. When we took a look at it, it turns out the alternator belt broke and battery wasn't getting charged and the waterpump wasn't being driven, so that explains both of the problems.

(Courtesy of my friend Tommy)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yep, that's what I was thinking as I read it. Easy fix. You got an outstanding deal. That tick you hear is most likely HLA-- many threads on it here.

Good luck!

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome to CR
Thanks winlowe!

Yep, that's what I was thinking as I read it. Easy fix. You got an outstanding deal. That tick you hear is most likely HLA-- many threads on it here.

Good luck!
TR, I had done a good amount of research prior to buying and I understand that the HLA's are rather noisy, but this "tick" is quite loud and isolated in the back driver side by cylinder 4, and when I say loud I mean can hear it at idle a block away kind of loud, not just when the hood is popped. Regardless, I won't have to worry about it much longer.

I wasn't planning on buying a Miata till spring, saving up some cash and allowing myself to be picky. I know I wanted a '94 with the 1.8 and all around stronger powertrain, and also maintain OBDI so I won't have to worry about any inspections/emissions. I randomly hopped on my CL app on my phone at work and added some new search cities and this one popped up. I called and talked to the guy instantly and on payday Friday used my check to go pick her up (Thank you OT!). And now with my buddy's friend clearing out his garage, I get a whole long block with goodies for less then the price of the flywheel that comes with it. AND NOW on top of that I am going to get a steal of a deal on a FC LSD from my buddy who swapped his out for a GTUs rear diff with a 4.3. Things are looking good for this build.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts