ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I found this forum off of miata.net, and so far, it seems to be a great resource. I'm looking forward to sharing info and learning more about this great car!

Now a little about me:

I previously owned a '92 black on tan 'C' package that I sold about a year ago and have been regretting it ever since.

However, this past weekend I picked up my 2nd na, a classic red 1995 base. It had been setting for about 2 years, and definitely needs some tlc. No rust or dents, but it badly needs a top, tires, a tune-up, and some major cleaning/buffing/detailing.

Here's the kicker: I got it for $500, and it runs flawlessly! I'm so excited to be back in the Miata fold, and having purchased this one so cheap, I'll actually be able to afford to mod it some.

Pics will be posted in the appropriate section shortly, but I'll warn you, it isn't much to look at right now.

-Ben

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Nothing a little simple green, a power washer, a new top, vacuum cleaner, Invisible Glass, paper towels, elbow grease, polish, buffing pads, rain-x, and some carnuba wax can't fix.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Too bad the elements got into that interior because the bad window, you might want to pull up the carpet some time so make sure there's not water pooled up rotting out the insulation.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
or a parcel shelf thats rusted through. I failed to notice that flaw when I purchased my car, so no carpet removal for me...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I wish the previous owner had covered the car. My first order of business is to pull everything out of the interior, clean it thoroughly, and check for rust issues.

From there, a very complete details, install the new top and get it licensed.

Over the winter, I plan on doing some major work, ie: timing belt, front and rear main seals, tune-up, new bushings, and hopefully new shocks too.

-Ben

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Yeah, I wish the previous owner had covered the car. My first order of business is to pull everything out of the interior, clean it thoroughly, and check for rust issues.

From there, a very complete details, install the new top and get it licensed.

Over the winter, I plan on doing some major work, ie: timing belt, front and rear main seals, tune-up, new bushings, and hopefully new shocks too.

-Ben

I am about to give you the best advice you ever will recieve here or on any Miata forum..

GET A REPLACEMENT TOP WITH THE RAIN-RAIL PREATTATCHED.

I feel everyone's pain about the chasis rust under the carpet, my Miata came with a busted back window and when I pulled the carpet.. Nothing but rust. :(

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice. I've actually located a top from a friend, it's 3 years old, but he only had the car on the road for a year with the new top before he pulled it off the road to start a major tear-down.

I'll make sure he is sending the rain rail too. (He's sending me the whole top, with the frame attached. Does that make a difference?

-Ben

1 - 13 of 13 Posts