ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, pics of the valve cover...

I set it on the engine, just to see how it'll look...

Oh, here's a before shot.

On the to-do list is polish the ridges and lettering. Then I'll get it installed.

Ok, now the question - what to do about the vent at the back of the valve cover? It is in line with the coil pack.

What's everyone else done??

·
ClubRoadster.net Founder
4,631 Posts
You have to fab up a bracket to move the coil pack a little toward the passenger side, I think.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
yep, it needs to be moved down and over to the pass side and you will need longer plug wires.

And its MUCH easier to install if you take the existing cam cover off!!

hehehee

PhatMiata

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Red valve covers always look good on a Miata! Very nice.

·
Registered
692 Posts
yep, it needs to be moved down and over to the pass side and you will need longer plug wires.

And its MUCH easier to install if you take the existing cam cover off!!

hehehee

PhatMiata
if anyone knows a part # that'd help me find the longer plug wires, that'd be great, my stockers look stretched to the max #-o
i have a 1.8

·
4,437 Posts
Rich - you need to cut the rear vent off and then plug it with an M8 bolt or something of that size. I just had my cover re-powder coated and will be installing it Monday and can take a few additional pics for you of this area for clarification. As soon as the site is fixed, I will upload a pic. Create a small L bracket to secure down the left side of your coil pack and your good as gold.

Just added picture below....

Attachments

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
I'm a little confused...

I wish I still had the picture, but the guy I bought my valve cover off of had made a bracket for his coil packs and attached them to his STB. He used that stock breather, and just ran a long hose back to the crossover tube.

Point is, I don't think it's a good idea to go without the breather, if for no other reason than there needs to be a way to get the crud out of the VC (not relying on the PCV).

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
That just doesn't sound like a good idea...

Rich...did you modify your crossover tube. It looks shorter than stock.

·
4,437 Posts
Bryan - no, there is a breather line on my cover - I would never close something like this off - because of the layout design, you need to plug the rear one and make a new vent opening in the same baffle. I failed to mention that beforehand.

You can see mine at the rear left (blue aeroquip 90 deg. connector):

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
Ah versy good idea Peter-san, all this time i thought that was factory from the Blue Oval cam cover you were running.

I still have my rear vent open, and just ran a longer vaccum hose from the back. Then used the stock Mazda NGK wires from the FWD version motors, and took the bottom half of the coil packs triangle bracket, shaved it, and repositioned it with a custom bracket that took two minutes to fab up.

Point is guys, there are lots ways around it, you can do it to, just be creative, i used a couple of Sapporos to help me along the way.

Ill see if i can uplload some pics later. BTW Peter, i think i like your setup better.

PhatMiata

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
Bryan - no, there is a breather line on my cover - I would never close something like this off - because of the layout design, you need to plug the rear one and make a new vent opening in the same baffle. I failed to mention that beforehand.

You can see mine at the rear left (blue aeroquip 90 deg. connector):

http://www.thebluepotato.net/engine/fingerz/filters2.jpg
Ahhhhh...I thought you'd done something like that. Figured making you explain the setup in a little more detail would be a good thing ;)

Speaking fo which, Does that catchcan have any outlets?

Yes - has a purge line that his hidden in the pic - I got that thing on ebay and weighs about 6lbs - a huge chunk of spun aluminum and great quality.

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Doh again! Wish I'd known before I had it powder coated... I'm sure I can get a nice hole in it with the drill press...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
Let me know how yours comes out, Rich. I think I'm inclined to relocate the coil pack and just run a long breather...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
Pulled it out? I thought you actually had to cut it off...

In any case, let me know how it comes out. Without the tools/time/money, I can't really do much with it for now.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts