ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 100 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got my XIDA's however I have gone though both box's inside and out and it seems I did not get any instructions.

I have some quoestions, I did call 949 and left a message :roll: To some who has installed them. Tighting the top nut on some shocks can only be done to a certain torque spec does anyone have that info handy??

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
I don't think they've ever come with directions. But call Emilio again and check. It's the holidays do I'm sure he busier than usual

·
Registered
11,685 Posts
You used an impact to tighten the top nut on the shock? The shock shaft nut? Because most shock shafts I've ever seen would twist in half with that sort of treatment.

FWIW, I always use a little blue Loctite on my Tein shock shafts. They're way too long/deep to get a torque wrench on, so I just do it "pretty tight" with a gearwrench and the blue Loctite keeps things together.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I think its 14 In/lbs
That is WAY too low. That is less than 2 ft/lbs. Even 14 ft/lbs would be loo low. It I had to guess, I'd say 50-70ft/lbs should be good, and shouldn't damage anything. The general rule that I have heard it that you don't want the shaft spinning while you tighten it. I have been told that it damages it, but I have no data to back that up.

·
!n-joy
3,192 Posts
So I got my XIDA's however I have gone though both box's inside and out and it seems I did not get any instructions.

I have some quoestions, I did call 949 and left a message :roll: To some who has installed them. Tighting the top nut on some shocks can only be done to a certain torque spec does anyone have that info handy??
If you have the Club Sport version, the top nut supplied is a Nylock type. You simply adjust the spring perch to have the springs compressed with the top hat, springs and bushings installed. Take an impact gun and gun the nut on until you see the top bushing (the small one) start to compress. Don't worry about the torque rating doing it this way.

·
I have the sack you want to ride.
4,639 Posts
I talked to someone from AST about this exact issue when I was assembling my XIDA CS's and VagaXt's method is exactly what they recommended.

Instead, I did it by hand. I just torqued them down until they were a bit firmer than good and snug. I'd be surprised if this nyloc nut comes off....ever....unless you put it on finger-tight or something.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Wow Patrick you weren't messing around when you mentioned this at the Pointless Event. May I get a ride at the January event? Currently saving for these but have never ridden in a car with this setup, let alone boosted.

·
Registered
420 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah, Emillio did call back but I was kind'of in a panic. Its not my first coilover rodeo, but some sort of instructions would be nice. I'm not keen on impact gunning a $2k worth of shocks. I did it by hand!

No problem Kevin I'll let you ride! Yeah, I figured after getting screwed with my M3. I plan on keeping this Miata as nice as it is sadly it's becoming my DD/Autocross/Track Day car.. The car rides nice and smooth but I didn't go with the 700/400spring rates. Which I may regret at some point, nice thing is I can order them and get the car reblanced and aligned.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
That is WAY too low. That is less than 2 ft/lbs. Even 14 ft/lbs would be loo low. It I had to guess, I'd say 50-70ft/lbs should be good, and shouldn't damage anything. The general rule that I have heard it that you don't want the shaft spinning while you tighten it. I have been told that it damages it, but I have no data to back that up.
We don't use a torque wrench when assembling them here but I'd guess less than 10 ft/lbs. 50-70 ft/lbs would cost you about $400 for new shafts and a rebuild.

BTW, VagaXt is the guy that actually assembles the kits here so take his advice :)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well I just picked up my CS today. Thanks E for getting them with 2 day Fed X. Well now I need to get them in the car. I put them in but not sure if I should use the spacers? If I do use the spacers where do they go? I am new to suspensions so forgive the rookie questions. Next it seems there are no adjustment like on my friends Flex. On those you can adjust the preload and shock. On the Xida If I adjust the up or down am i note just eating into shock length? Do I just put them in and use the bottom perch to set the height? Any guidence on would be appreciated.

T

·
Banned
607 Posts
adjustable shock lengths imo are just a feature meant to make the same shock fit more cars.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Well that makes simpler on the install. Just put them in and crank them up or down for ride height then.

1 - 20 of 100 Posts