ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
99 w/Bose junk... Owned for many years... Decided to gut the interior one day and transform the car from the ignored, undriven junker into my pet project. I have loved cars all my life and thought how can I call myself an enthusiast if I've never gotten my hands dirty??? so this is a solo thing.. learning one day at a time after owning the car a decade.

Disclaimer: Never worked with car electronics except for basic speaker replacement, never changed a head unit, so if some of the things in this post sound absurdly stupid I won't be offended for some flaming. :)

Picked up a new head unit and decided to not pay Best Buy for an install.. I'm the type of person that would rather DIY and it take 3 weeks rather than pay anyone anything... Also picked up some new speakers to replace Bose junk. Double-Din has been removed and I have purchased the appropriate harnesses. Everyone is telling me this install is straight forward if you have the harness....... THIS HAS BEEN ANYTHING BUT STRAIGHT FORWARD! :evil:

Despite having 2 degrees, I am not a stellar writer. So I'll just plainly state my intentions:
-Remove Bose head unit and amp and replace with aftermarket unit (No amp)
-remove and replace tweeters

I have provided some pictures and hopefully I'm explaining things clearly.

The two white harnesses came with the wiring kit from Best Buy. The back one came with the aftermarket head unit.

head3 by trailmixxx, on Flickr

This is what I have to work with apparently.

head2 by trailmixxx, on Flickr

Okay, so I'm not sure what I'm working with. I have looked up plenty of write-ups on exactly what I'm trying to do but most of them are garbage. They aren't detailed, provide no pictures and skip key steps..... Then again, maybe I'm just not seeing the big picture so I'll lay my questions out one by one.

1. Only one of the two white harnesses connect to those in vehicle... And when I connect it, it fits only one way and it appears to me that when it actually is connected, the wire colors are reversed... Like this:

head4 by trailmixxx, on Flickr

^^^^^ You see how the red/yellow/orange connections on the left side don't match with those on the right?

2. Am I cutting/soldering/crimping OR NOT?! I have come across an amazing amount of misinformation (and conflicting info) from friends, the internet, co-workers, and so called "professionals." I have read/heard more than once that if you have the right harness there needs to be no cutting whatsoever. I don't see how this is possible.

3. This mf Bose amp. Okay, have come across a few Bosectomy articles, but they really don't tell all that much as far as what should should actually do. I'm pretty sure I have disconnected it, but am unaware where to go from here. I have heard that I should just by-pass it, especially if I'm not running an amp... Okay? So how does that work if the amp is disconnected? (If it even matters)...

4. The OEM unity had 3 harnesses going into it from vehicle. This new unit only has the one???? How is that supposed to work?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not in any rush...

·
(⌐■_■)
2,309 Posts
search google / mnet garage/forum for a diagram that tells you what pin corresponds to what in the factory plug, ie left speaker, right speaker. Make sure you have the correct wiring harness for your oem radio. Plug the white wiring harness into the factory harness. Match wire to wire according to function to the headunit harness - colors don't always match. I stripped and crimped, some solder. Solder will be a better connection. Plug the black harness into the headunit. The single black wire will be your ground.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
search google / mnet garage/forum for a diagram that tells you what pin corresponds to what in the factory plug, ie left speaker, right speaker. Make sure you have the correct wiring harness for your oem radio. Plug the white wiring harness into the factory harness. Match wire to wire according to function to the headunit harness - colors don't always match. I stripped and crimped, some solder. Solder will be a better connection. Plug the black harness into the headunit. The single black wire will be your ground.
Thanks for the reply. Okay, have ripped everything out including the dash lol. I figured out where most of the wiring is and how to bypass the Bose amp.

Am I soldering the wires from the black harness (in first pic) with the white harness I am connecting to car with corresponding wires? Is that what you're talking about?

thanks for being understanding with my noobness!

·
(⌐■_■)
2,309 Posts
The black harness plugs into the headunit. The white harnesses plug into the preexisting factory harness. The loose wires connect to each other. You have to find out what each wire is in the factory harness so that you can connect it to the corresponding wire coming from the headunit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts