ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

As of a year ago, I am the second owner of a 1991 Crystal White, manual trans, power steering, no ABS, with hardtop. It is completely stock, and was intentionally kept stock by its first owner for 20 years. It is in very good condition still. It has 130k miles now, and I am considering what is worth modding/upgrading on it. I am torn between keeping it as a classic survivor, and having some other kinds of fun with it. At the moment it needs new suspension and brake pads, also with a bit of vibration in one front rotor, probably rotors wouldn't hurt.

Any input on how I should decide whether to go with either OEM parts or performance upgrades?

·
Surgeon General
2,924 Posts
Welcome! :D

You can easily upgrade the suspension and brakes without making it into something that kills the overall image of the car.

Some OEM blank rotors and more aggressive pads (Hawk, Carbotech, etc) as well as a good bleed will make a huge difference.

As for suspension, you could keep it simple with aftermarket shocks and lowering springs, or if you want to have more adjustability over how the suspension behaves, you can opt for a coilover setup.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So there's no real benefit to keeping it truly factory-spec at this point? I'm coming from a perspective of reading Mopar mags for years, where there is more value in the "survivor" cars than in the modded ones.

·
Vendor
7,491 Posts
Hello and Welcome to CR!

As for future worth of your Miata and keeping it showroom stock vs modding it: That depends on just your feelings, I think. How much did you pay for it? Did you pay a premium because it was stock? If so, I could see why you're leaning toward keeping it stock so that someday when you sell you can justify asking for that same premium.

However, I think it's safe to say that most Miata owners modify their cars in some fashion. And I think most get a Miata and either already have a to-do list of mods or quickly find they want to mod. So, it's up to you to decide what camp you fit in.

I think the general Miata-ownership would say that these cars aren't held up to the standards of classic American Iron in terms of keeping the old ones stock. I know I hear an ad for a Miata once in a blue moon that claims the car is all stock and asks a premium - as an owner myself I read that and think "who cares?" and I wouldn't pay a premium. But that's also because I'm in the camp of wanting a daily driver that's relatively comfortable while having performance mods so I can do track days.

I hope all of this helps? Bottom line is, it's up to you to decide what you're comfortable with. Some people do find classic, clean, OEM Miatas as preferential.

Anyway, I'm sure you'll get more opinions. Again - Welcome to CR and enjoy that Miata!

Chris

·
Registered
54 Posts
I say leave it as is, a clean bone stock and unmolested Miata will probably hold it's value much better than one that's been tampered with.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you're gonna keep as a surviver, i would keep the miles low as possible BUT then you won't get to enjoy it. Maybe do what ShadowMX5 said; factory rotors w/ better pads and suspension....you could always put the stock stuff back on later down the road. Then again, anything with over like 40k miles I say go nuts and drive it like you stole it! ;) Welcome!

·
Registered
210 Posts
welcome to CR, stock is fine I have a stock setup as well. The only thing I upgraded was the shocks.However, the mild lowering wouldn't hurt. As long as the paint is good the value shouldn't drop too much. Upgrades are not bad depending if its in a tasteful fashion. Now slamming the car or upgrading to cheap Chinese knock off suspension are bad habits.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts