ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats up everyone..my names Mikey..19 from socal..going to FIDM for graphic design..looking at buying a miata but have a few questions for everyone before i commit..

are miatas reliable?
can they be relatively quick with not too much money?
good for the track? (auto-x, drift)
common problems with miatas, **** to watch for when buying one?

thanks!

·
Registered
509 Posts
Try to get a long nose crank if you can. You can tell as it will have 8 slots on the crank pulley instead of 4. The miata.net garage has a good article on it. http://www.miata.net/garage/crankshaft.html

Ill let more knowledgeable members chime in for other advice since im relatively new to ownership myself. Good luck on your search

·
Registered
509 Posts
Dont buy a 1.6 get the 1.8 motor i have had both and i like the 1.8 better just my to cents
Or do this and save yourself from the hassle haha. It also has more power and a tad higher compression. 1.8 is the 94+ unless the PO has swapped one in. Also find yourself a car with a torsen diff if you can

·
Registered
568 Posts
Do yourself a favor; Do a bit more research and set your standards high. When I looked for mine, it had to be black, bone stock for the most part, 96 or 97 cause I wanted obd2 for more power, with hardtop, clean title, NO BONDO, and low miles. I got exactly what I was looking for (black, 96, 0bd2 1.8 with matching hardtop) just at 3k.. Sometimes it might seem impossible to find what you desire for but with some patience, you might just find something better.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Do yourself a favor; Do a bit more research and set your standards high. When I looked for mine, it had to be black, bone stock for the most part, 96 or 97 cause I wanted obd2 for more power, with hardtop, clean title, NO BONDO, and low miles. I got exactly what I was looking for (black, 96, 0bd2 1.8 with matching hardtop) just at 3k.. Sometimes it might seem impossible to find what you desire for but with some patience, you might just find something better.
This! People said I was crazy & too picky, but you agree with me. Yes!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I had a 1.6 and 1.8, There is not much difference in power on stock form.However, when boosted you have an optional mp62 blower for the 1.8 liter. Plus the bigger 1.8 produces more power when boosted. I recomend that you do more research on the car before buying. Although miatas can handle, Both the 1.6 and 1.8 really have no passing power. So boost is definitely recommended for pure fun. I still need to get a blower for my miata, but I have a v8 on the side.

Atleast get long-nose crank, 91 1/2 model and up or just buy a 92 miata if your too lazy to inspect the crank for a shortnose.

·
Registered
967 Posts
ok i know this ones a 92 but its got a hardtop, turbo, coilovers and other ****..what do you guys think?
http://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/2951125591.html
Seriously? Salvage title, unknown "lowering" springs when it looks just about stock height, XXRs, missing cluster hood which can be difficult and expensive to find sometimes...and on top of all that it's turbo'd? Lol, have fun with it, when you realize everything is broken let me know, I have all the parts to fix it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts