ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nielex Steering Rack Brace

What's the verdict on this thing? How beneficial is it? It appears to fit both PS and manual racks. Is this just bling or is it the last piece of the puzzle for achieving steering nirvana?

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts
Hmmm...never seen it before.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I can't really see how it'd help... it mounts to the same places as before. Looks like all it does is brace the rack itself... against itself... except that it's already tubular.

Color me skeptical.

M

·
0 Posts
I've had my eye on this for a couple of years. (Damn, Mr. Woolery, you need to buy R&S once in a while!)

After burning myself a few times ordering expensive JDM parts that turned out to not fit RHD cars, I've been waiting for someone else to get one of these and confirm:

1) If this will even fit LHD cars;
2) If it makes any difference in steering feel or handling

I hope this thread brings someone out of the woodwork who can answer those questions.

BTW, I like how they improved the design over their original one, making the cross-brace out of extruded L-shaped stock and overlapping it with the ends to reduce flexing. The added drain holes at the bottoms of the countersunk holes are smart too.

Bill

·
2,708 Posts
The question is, Does it do anything?

Let's see:

Wheel spindle assembly is conected by the upper and lower A-arms.

A-arms are bolted to the car.

Tie end rods connected to steering rack.

It seems to me that all the stress would be put on the upper and lower A-arms. The tie rods would serve one purpose, to steer the wheels. I think if the engineers would want to "stiffen" anything, it would be the skinny tie-ends.

Correct me if I'm wrong in my logic.

·
Registered
211 Posts
As a engineer of things that aren't roadsters... what about something like the honda guys have.. the Korbach Frame Locks.

http://www.korbachperformance.com/framelocks.htm

They're supposed to really tighten up the chassis and improve steering feel. which on a civic is a big deal because they have about .0003 degrees of caster.

do we have a similar weak joint at the front corners?

M

·
0 Posts
do we have a similar weak joint at the front corners?
No.

With its PPF, the Miata chassis has a strong skeleton down the center of the car vs. the Honda being like box with 4 floppy corners. Plus, being FF, all the torque in the Honda is in the front of the chassis. The FR Miata spreads the torque throughout the chassis.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

M

·
0 Posts
The question is, Does it do anything?
I assume...
Protects the rack from road debris (if you're not running the plastic tray).
Lowers the center of gravity (by adding more weight at a low point).
Lightens wallet (which ironically raises the center of gravity back up again).

·
The Vorlon
4,516 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,067 Posts
I doubt that it'd protect the rack from anything...there's not any kind of shield on it. Of course, if you're running the undertray, it's a non-issue, anyway.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
looks like a waste of $$$.
urethane bushings for the steering rack would do the same thing....and i can't see that being beneficial unless the old rubber bushings are shot.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I was about to type something about this.

I have some urethane bushings to replace the old rubber units on my WRX which are prone to early death. I'm one of the lucky guys who hasn't needed it yet, probably because I put about 6K miles on the car per year average.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Google-san says

"It eases the input from the road surface by improving steering wheel rack support rigidity, the steering wheel vibration is lightened, actualizes the linear steering wheel."

:?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
I was about to type something about this.

I have some urethane bushings to replace the old rubber units on my WRX which are prone to early death. I'm one of the lucky guys who hasn't needed it yet, probably because I put about 6K miles on the car per year average.
Mine weren't dead on my WRX, but i went to the whiteline urethane rack bushings regardless. I felt a difference. . . my roommate swears he doesn't though (yet I can when i drive his). It's only a moderate pain in the ass, I'd reccomend doing it whenever you have a weekend free.

I wish someone made poly rack bushings for the Miata. . .

1 - 20 of 23 Posts