ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all. Thought maybe I would post this if someone were interested. I installed a 2011 Nissan Versa nav head unit in my NA today. The Nissan part number of the unit I used is 25915ZW84A. I cut and spliced the Nissan car pigtails (head unit male plug) into a NA Miata Pioneer head unit adapter (Nissan male -> solder -> Miata Female) so I can keep the factory NA plugs. I cut and spliced the Nissan antenna plug onto a female antenna plug I cut from an old head unit so I could use the NA antenna. (Nissan uses a weird antenna plug)

When I first mounted the unit, I bolted the factory NA left and right head unit mounts to the Nissan unit through the holes in the brackets that have the alignment tabs for the NA stereo. I bent the little tabs through and out of this way to expose the holes. This is very self explanatory if you look at the brackets - as the tabs line up with the Nissan unit and the old holes don't. This ended up centering the unit in the dash, leaving a gap above and below. I eventually remounted the brackets to the head unit using the original top most available holes in the bracket, and redrilling for the bottom hole. This put the unit perfectly flush to the top, as shown by the latter pictures.

I ran a the factory Nissan GPS antenna up under the dashboard. As you can see the head unit fit is decent. Its like a 1.75 DIN instead of a double DIN, so I have little gaps to fill (now just one gap below since I bumped the unit up in the space). I will eventually make trim pieces. The unit sounds great through the speakers and everything seemed to work, although the GPS couldn't get a signal through my garage it saw the antenna and was trying. I still want to find a more accurate Nissan pinout so I can wire an AUX port. I'm happy with it. Now to not punch it shifting.

NOTES NOW THAT ITS INSTALLED AND I'M LIVING WITH IT:
I seem to be having a problem with illumination of the buttons on the unit. Its been a nightmare trying to find a Nissan wiring diagram, so its been mostly trial and error, but as of this point I can not get the buttons to light up. I havent ruled out that they are simply burned out since this was a junkyard pull - but I have a feeling I just haven't figured out the illumination wiring correctly. (anyone own this factory Nissan unit? Do the buttons light up even with headlights turned off??)

Youll see in the pics how it's evolved - originally centered - then I moved it up flush - added a crude wood trim I need to color match and added temporary knobs until I find knobs I like.

I posted this on another forum and got mixed reviews. "WhY NoT jUsT InStall ApPle CaR pLay ItS wAy BetTeR????"

This cost me $38 pulled from a junkyard as you see it - do that with apple car play.

Any questions I'll do my best to help.

edit: there is no branding on the bezel - but it does display a NISSAN logo for .2 seconds when it boots up.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Attached are my current notes regarding the Nissan wiring harness from the Nissan FSM for anyone that wants to attempt this. The info is for a 2011 Sentra. It looks like other models that use the same nav unit from that year use the same plug and pin arrangement - but different wire colors.

My only issue has been the illumination circuit for the buttons on the nav. As you can see the FSM for the Sentra doesn't seem to even include an illumination circuit. It took a while but i DID find that a FSM for a 2011 Rouge w/ NAV seems the be the same pinout (different wire colors), but that FSM did include pins for illumination (pins 8/9 - not even shown in the Sentra FSM). Tomorrow I'm going dig back in to see if my Sentra harness has those wires (using the pin numbers not the wire colors) - it looks like I am getting closer to the solution to the illumination of the unit.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
I can officially confirm the wiring diagram I posted above is correct, and using the Rouge illumination pinout (8,9) though the Miata dimmer, the illumination on the unit does now work. I guess I now consider this swap 100% compatible at the base level, and the unit fully works in my 93 Miata.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
I abandoned the wood and trimmed the opening with a piece of ABS with 2 rivets punched in it for pizazz. I plan to wire the aux jack into the plate. I'm going to install a homelink in the dash and I'll probably use the plate for the buttons now. The usb port I plan to do a short female usb cable that will discreetly stick out of the bottom of the center console next to the passenger seat. Still figuring out what I want to do for permanent knobs. I may buy another unit that has unbroken knobs if one pops up. Newer nav models (MY12+) look like they have bluetooth if I'm lucky to find one.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I ended up going back to the junkyard to pull a homelink and the factory harness to the Nissan HU for AUX and USB. I got the harness, and pulled a USB/AUX jack unit from the center arm rest in a 2009 Subaru Outback. I hacked the 2 harnesses together, and installed the jacks in the trim bezel under the HU. Everything is working great. There is JUST ENOUGH room in the dash for everything. Its a tight fit, and took a few tries to get the HU and all the harnesses comfortably in the dash, but it all does work. Attached are pics of how it sits currently

Attachments

Registered
Outstanding job for the price, kudos!
One thing though... Did I get it right, you connected the illumination to the dimmer? Does that mean it's controlled by the dimmer switch?

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
Outstanding job for the price, kudos!
One thing though... Did I get it right, you connected the illumination to the dimmer? Does that mean it's controlled by the dimmer switch?

Hooking the Nissan unit to the Miata "dimmer" wire (and a ground, its 2 wires) - the HU buttons light up when you turn on the Miata headlights

Registered
Ooh, fancy! If ever I install a "regular" stereo (I'm planning a custom, pi-based one) I'll have to do something of the likes.

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
I have just finished up installing the hidden homelink garage opener in the dash, with external buttons. It came out great and functionality is a 10/10. Fit was VERY TIGHT, but it's all in there. The pic of the button panel shows the homelink box behind the usb/aux, but I ended up mounting it behind the buttons themselves. I have included a daytime pic showing the illumination on as well. Everything officially works and I think I am done with it.

Attachments

Registered
I don't know that I would want a nav system in that location. Do you have any trouble with your eyes off the road or difficulty with the viewing angle?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know that I would want a nav system in that location. Do you have any trouble with your eyes off the road or difficulty with the viewing angle?
Personally, I dont, but I can see people that have a bad habit of driving via screen having an issue. The voice turn by turns me through the headrest speakers which is what I was looking for more than a map on a screen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts