ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been searching and anyone have any nitrous experience here?
I'm thinking of buying a kit until I get my turbo set up complete then use it to cool the charged air in the intercooler.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Nitrous

I'm not an internet dork, so idk what that means.
If you don't have anything positive to contribute then there is no need for a reply, right?

I searched and all these irrelevant threads came up.
I'm new to Miatas and am a mechanic by trade... So I am just interested in hearing anyone's experience in that area.

There is not a nitrous section, so if this is in the wrong section I apologize.:hello kitty:

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts

then use it to cool the charged air in the intercooler.
How do you plan to use nitrous to cool the charge? Are you going to freeze the bottle of nitrous first? Spraying nitrous into the intercooler charge will not cool the charge air...

Also, this:

Most experience with nitrous is few and far between because it's a "drag race mod" and most people with miatas are concerned with handling. It's not even legal to have nitrous in your car at autox or HPDEs afaik. With the proper fueling and engine management, it will be fine and has been done in the past safely...but from what I've seen you post so far I'd recommend reading up about nitrous in general and what it can and cannot do for you. Misinformation could lead to serious danger to manifold.

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts

If you don't have anything positive to contribute then there is no need for a reply, right?

I'm new to Miatas and am a mechanic by trade... So I am just interested in hearing anyone's experience in that area.

There is not a nitrous section, so if this is in the wrong section I apologize.:hello kitty:
There isn't a nitrous section because it's a bad idea.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts

I am an internet dork, so let me explain. It means I was anticipating the rest of the forum giving you so much crap that the moderators would have to lock the thread.

At any rate: on stock connecting rods you aren't going to be making enough boost to need anything more than a decent intercooler to keep IAT's in line.

If you want more decent feedback, you might start by telling a bit about the car and how you'll be using it. You're in uncharted territory because it's fairly pointless on a miata, as bronto said.

And spiteful, as the nos comes out it goes through a huge pressure drop, decreasing the temperature significantly, it actually does make for a great intercooler spray, as long as you can avoid all danger to your manifold.

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
And you actually want to warm the bottle(not freeze), with a bottle warmer/jacket, to maintain optimal bottle pressure.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Chad, obviously I know that and I was making a sarcastic comment. Don't be dense.

Humming, that's actually a misconception similar to meth cooling the intake charge...while both cool the charge slightly, the amount is negligible. I used to think so to until people much smarter than I explained how I was thinking about it in the wrong way. Maybe Ben will chime in

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
Sure you were... :suicide:

Still wrong though. How is a decrease in temp. by 60-75° F negligible?

"How does nitrous work?Nitrous oxide is made up of 2 parts nitrogen and 1 part oxygen (36% oxygen by weight). During the combustion process in an engine, at about 572 degrees F, nitrous breaks down and releases oxygen. This extra oxygen creates additional power by allowing more fuel to be burned. Nitrogen acts to buffer, or dampen the increased cylinder pressures helping to control the combustion process. Nitrous also has a tremendous “intercooling” effect by reducing intake charge temperatures by 60 to 75 degrees F. Watch our video on Holley TV that shows what's happening in your engine once nitrous and fuel are introduced."
https://www.holley.com/support/faq/ click on the NOS tab.

Holley recommends 40-60hp shot on a 4 cylinder and 1-1.5° timing retard per 50hp. Pretty sure these people are 'smarter' than anyone on this site when it comes to nitrous oxide. :icon_cheers:

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts
OP, post pictures of your car. List plans for it also.

I wouldn't waste any time or money on nitrous IMO. That's all I have to say about that.

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Wow. You really are that dense.

Anyway, I can google stuff on the interwebz too but I'm not knowledgeable enough on the subject to claim expertise like you. I know that 2/3 of that quote is true but the other 1/3 is what I don't really get. The internet never lies, right? What context are those temperature drops in? Random recommendations and numbers without context are meaningless

So let's just leave it at that. Feel free to post but make another comment coming at me and we may have an issue <3

·
Beggars can't be choosers.
1,454 Posts

·
Old Threads > New Threads
5,269 Posts
I had a complete kit and planned to have it installed at one time. My best advice is to take your car to a well known speed shop local to you. Not the ones run by kids addicted to FnF films but the place everyone over 50 goes to with their V8 powered monster. Talk to those guys about it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I will post pictures of the car after this movie.
1.8L
headers intake and exhaust
stage 2 clutch lightweight flywheel
chipped ecu
coilovers
I want to do autocross and some drag races. Really am going for a street car that can go to just about any race venue and compete.
I am a mechanic by trade but have NO experience with nitrous.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts