ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I get pulled over all the time. Never once for speeding. Always something that doesn't stick and its just cops that think I'm drinking or smoking something I'm not supposed to. It gets old fast. So today I hit a rock. It went up and from what I saw might have hit a car or something. I admit I was scared so i did go a bit faster and was still on my way home. About to get off on jamboree off the 405-S I see the dreaded lights in my rear view. Long story short I have been living here off and on for a while and told the officer the truth that this visit has been for about 2months. So I gave him my Florida License and he my AAA card. That wasn't good enough. They freaking never sent me my actual "insurance" card. So I was pissed. He came back with this "Citation" on the top it reads "Notice to Appear" then all my info and then "speeding 85 in 65" I was okay with this I did do wrong. And deserved it. Second was "No insurance" I told him my story I showed the papers from AAA and still had to give me that? And then the worst. "unlicensed" *pissed*. This really aggravated me. I went to the DMV and missed 7 and they allow 6. So I was studying and going to get back to the test later. He said it shows all my info from when I actually did the test and everything. So that means that's fine and all but then he comes back with the I cant use you FL license? I don't understand. I have a court date. And I'm worried. He didn't tell me what to bring or anything. Didn't explain anything to me. There is not a price on the "ticket" so I don't know what the hell that means. I know we have a couple Police among us. Could someone shed some light on this for me? Thanks guys so much! Here is a picture of the paper he gave me.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I should probably take my addy off that.. Oh well.

·
R U ?
7,092 Posts
I'm assuming you have to go to court for them to assess what should happen to you. You have done a lot of wrong according to your story.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I can only speak for Illinois, but if the same violations were cited here:

1 speeding- talk to judge and be honest- see if they offer supervision of some sort

2 no insurance- is AAA your insurance company? Or is that a motor club only card or something? Bring a current/ up do date insurance card to court (looks like this is fixable on your ticket)

3 license- get a CA drivers license already! No excuse if you've been there for 2 months. Show judge new CA license and that you've done some leg work. Typically states will only allow you a certain amount of time to get an in-state license as a new resident. It's probably 30 or 60 days in California.

No fines appear on citations for court appearance violations in Illinois- judge will set fine in court for those. That could be same in CA- but, I'm only guessing.

·
It's a medical thing.
565 Posts
Do you really have to take a test if you have a license from another state you moved from? Really? **** CA.

Assuming all the above as true, you're really not on a strong ground. Do the dance, pay the fine, and try to breakup your text into paragraphs.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey thanks guys! Gosh it's sad. When I get worried. I go to cr.net. I sure do love my Miata. Just hope I can get a new job soon. Just lost mine. When it rains. It pours!

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm assuming they usually show up though right?

·
Registered
369 Posts
not really, several years ago i got arrested for refusing breathalyzer, went to court and he didn't show so they dropped charges. I was pretty shocked since its a pretty serious crime.

and 2 months ago my ex girlfriend got a ticket for speeding. she went to court to fight it, cop wasn't there so she got off scott free.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! What would I say. Do they just dismiss it? Or do I have to actually say something about him not being there?

·
Registered
369 Posts
when i went to court, i went to the window to give them the citation and right there they told me that it was dismissed.

when my ex went to court for her speeding ticket, she went in front of a judge who asked her how she pleads, she said innocent, and since the cop wasn't there they dropped it.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That would be a dream come true.

·
Supporting Member
426 Posts
The address listed on your FL drivers licence, does a relative still live there?

I moved to oregon about 2 years ago, but kept my WA drivers licence. All I did was write my OR address on the back of my WA ID. I got pulled over once, but told the cop that my car was licenced to my Dad's address, and that it's my permanent address, but that the oregon address was my temporary housing. The cop had no issues with it, but not saying that it should work for you.

If I was in your shoes, I'd just slam it all down on the table. Call your insurance and see if they can fax or mail you proof of insurance, but make sure it's got a "Starting from" and "Ending on" date on it. They cant slam you on an insurance charge if you're covered on the vehicle prior to the date you got pulled over.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Idk? Why does ever douche on every forum have to make a stupid smartass comment on every thread? I was asking a question. Wanted a answer. Not a crude remark.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Also if you would have taken the couple seconds to look over what I posted, and maybe took a quick look at the ticket you would have noticed that I am not 16 years old. Not much older but much more mature. Read the post next time before you go throwing out comments like that.

Just in-case you didn't want to scroll all the way back up. I'm 18. I even blew it up real big for you:)

·
I <3 NY & Hate you
995 Posts
They may toss the insurance charge out if you get a proper card, however most laws state that you have to have proper proof of insurance, which in most states means the insurance card showing start and end dates along with VIN.

Speeding, you own it. The Judge or DA may reduce if you talk with them.

Unlicensed, I am not sure I understood your incident properly, but let me see. You have a Florida license, but you now live in Cali. You have attempted to get a Cali license, however you failed the written license test that new residents have to take to transfer they're licenses over to Cali? I am unsure on this one, so I do not want to speak on this one for sure. If you car insurance is from an address in Cali and your license is in Florida it could muddy the waters a little.

***disclaimer*** Laws etc vary from state to state...just because I am saying it doesnt mean it will happen that way.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts