ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok had the head redone and installed with new springs, valve job and replaced 8 HLAs as per the machine shops suggestion. Just got the car back on the road after sitting for months. Did not have any oil pressure problems before I cooked the head so I'm steering away from the oil pump being bad. But now at start up I don't have any oil pressure for a good 45-60 secs. Plus real noisy clatter. Seems to be only after car sits for a while. Overnight or all day at work. Once its going it will start up and stay in normal range. Also oil pressure drops to zero at idle. Rev motor to 1250rpm and oil pressure jumps up again. By the way its a 94 with real oil guage and 96 or 97 motor. Are the lifter not filling up properly or are they bleeding down and not retaining any oil. I'm worried cuz it takes way too long for pressure to build in my opinion and then I have to keep blipping the throttle to keep pressure up when stopping at traffic lights. Please help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Are you 100% sure the head gasket didn't get flipped? There is a hole to allow the oil squirter for the head to blow oil up through the headgasket, and if you flip the gasket over and install it the wrong way you cover that hole :shock: .

It sounds like something nobody would do, but it has been done before, and it quickly results in destroying the head. Beyond that, I'd say you have a serious problem. There is no rational reason it should take 45-60 seconds to generate oil pressure in your car and you are probably eating bearings the whole time waiting for the pressure to rise.

·
Banned
968 Posts
Are you 100% sure the head gasket didn't get flipped? There is a hole to allow the oil squirter for the head to blow oil up through the headgasket, and if you flip the gasket over and install it the wrong way you cover that hole :shock: .

It sounds like something nobody would do, but it has been done before, and it quickly results in destroying the head. Beyond that, I'd say you have a serious problem. There is no rational reason it should take 45-60 seconds to generate oil pressure in your car and you are probably eating bearings the whole time waiting for the pressure to rise.

damn stole the suggestion right from my fingertips.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts