ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im not sure if this topic belongs in this section, but i was wondering how many of you guys have disabled your power steering. What are the ups and downs?

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Mine's de-powered, disabled and removed. I've been nothing but happy with it. It stopped my too much steering input problem I used to have. It's so much easier to feel what the tires are doing now. I love it. Everyone else complains though.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
I love it. Pretty much what he said. Feedback from the tires is much better. After a few weeks of it, I can't imagine why all Miatae didn't come this way from the factory.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
did you do the depower where you pulled the seals and stuff? Ive heard about it but I havent researched it yet.
That'd be the FM method, wherein you remove the entire rack from the car. I just plugged the lines at the rack. They're not even looped.

Supposedly the FM method makes the effort even easier because you're not pushing any fluid at all, but I like mine just the way it is (even with nearly 5deg of caster), and really don't see how it could be much better considering the effort needed to do it the FM way (for one thing, you'll need to get the car realigned once the rack is back in the car).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So all you guys did was plug up the lines? Was any fluid left inside or did you completely drain? What size bolts were used to plug?

M

·
0 Posts
So all you guys did was plug up the lines? Was any fluid left inside or did you completely drain? What size bolts were used to plug?
The two plugs are 14mm x 1.5 thread and 16mm x 1.5 thread, each about 10mm long (i.e. as short as possible). If you have a resource for a fastener store, those sizes can be found as oil pan drain plugs for misc. cars. Or here's a Spec Miata shop that sells the plugs for $15 to save you the shopping:

http://advanced-autosports.com/prod07_ps_plugs.htm

BTW, there's no need to snip off and plug the tubes running along the rack as most people do. You can just leave them as-is.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Mine's FM gutted as well.

NO fluid at all in it, just a liberal coating of grease on all the surfaces.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,850 Posts
I kind of wish I had manual windows. Strangely enough, my 97M did not come with ABS...

I am now rocking (nearly) manual steering and no AC along with my lack of ABS :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
haha bryan, Im runnin no ac, manual everything, and soon depowered rack. Im going to do it sooner or later. :p but I think Im just going to loop the lines untill I have time to pull apart the rack.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts