ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look - we all cannot live and breathe Miatae all day long - let alone JDm, but in the past year or so, I have had a CRAVING to add annother horse to the stable - especially an old school VW. I used to own a 1982 Scirocco....so I pose the question to the group - Have you thought about getting yer fingers dirty again with another project - especially a watercooled one?

Here's a few shots of some projects I'd like to consider someday - a Nod to the old Skool!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Yes and no. I loved my '87 Jetta GLI to death (now do you get it?) and it was tricked out way more than my Miata is now but it was sooooo mucchhhh wooorrrkkkk. Ever want to drive a car that's more wobbly than a Miata? Drive an old skool VW. I am really into most any cult car so I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the V-dub, yahhh, but I don't know about getting another one. Maybe I'm just getting old but I see myself working on an old BMW project before working on an old VW project.

On my walk to work this morning I saw a really trendy young looking guy driving a mint round tail light 2002 in green with period correct 13" Alpina wheels. It looked so frickin' sweet. I thought it was the coolest thing and smelling the rich exhaust fumes and hearing it motor away made my morning.

Or maybe a '72 911 or a later Carerra fitted with early trim and chrome bumpers to look like a '72.

I grew up with Sciroccos, Rabbit GTIs, Audi 5000Q, Ur-Quattros, etc. and might consider buying another one that was 100% mint and only in need of general up keep. But I'm sure the modifying bug will hit me and I'll be trying to make it look like something from Cult Society or Edition 38.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
I've had 3 H2O-cooled's, and I echo Kyle- I would be very nervous to own one of these today. The electricals are just disastrous. The switchgears, dash, plastics just disintegrate horribly.

A Honda would be so much less traumatic if you're craving a FWD. As for me- I'm keeping an eye out for a Festiva with a blown engine :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
i am domestic cross-over, i was all about the late 60's & early 70's Olds 442, I had a Rocket Powered 455 in high school, and maybe someday i would like to do another, but until the Miata is complete it aint gonna happen. Its too expensive to support two cars, and all you will get is two semi-pimped rides. Just focus on one car bro, if you ever complete the Blue Potato, and feel you can improve no more, then yeah, time for a new project car. Until then, i'd stay with the current ride, project potato :twisted: Anyhow, if i can ever finish PhatMiata, then i will move on to anoth project, but its gonna be years before that happens.

W-30 OLDS 442

PhatMiata

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Ive got tooo many rides to be thinking about another project. As a matter of Fact, ve got a 97 Civic to ditch so If anyone wants that as a project... :lol:

·
Registered
592 Posts
Peter- Rob Redanz (Anhelo body kit) has orders to Germany. Think of the parts he could find...

M

·
0 Posts
I've always wanted an Opel GT. It looks like a miniature '68 'Vette. With the forthcoming "new Opel GT" (i.e. Euro-spec Solstice) it seems the time may be right. Anyone know how drivable they were by Miata standards?

I like how the headlights flip over to hide. Kind of James Bond-y!

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
RoadstarJDM said:
I like how the headlights flip over to hide. Kind of James Bond-y!

whoa! is that James Bond standing next to that blue car, the resemblance is uncanny!!! :twisted:

PhatMiata

·
Banned
5,894 Posts
opel gt - heh!

about 3 years ago, soon after i installed my crappy greddy kit, my wife and i were up in traverse city, mi for a day trip. on our way out of town, we pulled upto another couple at a light in an opel gt. not being one to shy from a challenge, my wife shot the guy a couple of revs, he obliged and we we off. we did 4 stoplight races and this guy couldn't figure out why he was getting spanked. my car was only running about 7 psi then. his girl looked p-i-s-s-e-d. anyways we finally lost him when we hit the curves and we still laugh about it to this day.

M

·
0 Posts
Phatmiata said:
whoa! is that James Bond standing next to that blue car, the resemblance is uncanny!!! :twisted:
PhatMiata
That's 007's German pit crew.

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
RoadstarJDM said:
Phatmiata said:
PhatMiata
That's 007's German pit crew.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
41 Posts
heh, I had an A1 Golf ('83 Wolfsburg) - it was great fun, slow as hell. Buuuut it shat itself and I flicked it for $20 :( Would love to have the time, money and space for another one - wife would strangle me though !!

No swaybars, skinny ass wheels (13x5 ??) makes for a lot of low speed fun :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts