ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a loud kind of grinding sounding noise when i'm going in reverse. It used to happen only once in a while so i thought nothing of it but now it's all the time, and only when going in reverse.
Any ideas on what it could be?
thanks in advance..

·
Lit like a BranchDavidian
5,990 Posts
Is 1st gear hard to get into as well? I'm placing my bets on dying slave cylinder.

·
Registered
13 Posts
i have similar noise coming from the rear when in reverse. is kinda grinding as well am check out if anything out of place.

·
Mostly Harmless
1,540 Posts
Not terribly uncommon for a clutch master cylinder to die after a dead slave cylinder is replaced. It's the whole finding the weakest link in the system thing.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Try a forward gear then reverse, 3rd always does it for me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Normally you wouldn't panic too much about a reverse gear issue, but it's not something you wish for either. The Miata R is syncromesh (not common until recently) so synchro wear is a possibility.

I do have an experience with a Ford Ranger ... not sure if it used the same tranny as the Miata or not, was a V-6, but could be. In any case with that truck 1st and Reverse became problem shifting and there were a few times where you could not engage either or leave either. The truck was totalled in an accident so can't say if it would have led to failure of any kind.

I personally would do all the usual trans fixes and see if that helps. Clutch master, slave, line (most experience on Miatas is do it all at the same time, or else you'll be back there soon), plus a drain and change to one of the recommended lubricants. Would give you an opportunity to check out possible debris in the lubricant. You could also at that point send out a sample of your old lubricant for oil analysis which will tell you what is wearing and how much. Will cost you maybe $25 for the analysis. Then take it from there.

·
Supporting Member
2,284 Posts
Vid is good..but not the problem here...the vid deals with the stuck in reverse issue with some of the early Miata transmissions...

The grinding mentioned by the OP may be something as simple as dry sway bar bushings and it may be more of a creak than a grind...

And BTW...this thread is almost a year old...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts