ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Will using a non abs front hub bearing on an abs car cause any problems? or can i simply press out the abs ring from the worn bearing and put it on the non abs hub bearing?

·
Registered
716 Posts
Buy the correct bearing. Why play around when you can get the right part the first time? And yes, it could have extreme consequences and piss the ABS system off to no end.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Buy the correct bearing. Why play around when you can get the right part the first time? And yes, it could have extreme consequences and piss the ABS system off to no end.

what if i unplug the abs sensor? i asked because i already have the non abs hub bearing, and was wondering if anyone has used one on an abs system. On what authority do you make those claims? do you know without a doubt it will not work?

·
Registered
716 Posts
what if i unplug the abs sensor? i asked because i already have the non abs hub bearing, and was wondering if anyone has used one on an abs system. On what authority do you make those claims? do you know without a doubt it will not work?
I do not know that it will not work. I'm an ASE certified tech and I'm telling you that you will cause some unintended result. If you unplug ALL the sensors, the ABS light will probably be on, and how the braking/ABS system will react is unknown. Unplug one, and the system will have no idea what's going on with that corner of the car. And it will still work the rest of the ABS system as though that wheel is unaffected. As for braking performance, remember that all of your brake fluid will still go through the ABS mechanism. Who knows what will happen? These are your brakes. I would be tempted to buy the correct parts. YMMV

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
I do not know that it will not work. I'm an ASE certified tech and I'm telling you that you will cause some unintended result. If you unplug ALL the sensors, the ABS light will probably be on, and how the braking/ABS system will react is unknown. Unplug one, and the system will have no idea what's going on with that corner of the car. And it will still work the rest of the ABS system as though that wheel is unaffected. As for braking performance, remember that all of your brake fluid will still go through the ABS mechanism. Who knows what will happen? These are your brakes. I would be tempted to buy the correct parts. YMMV
Lol @ throwing around ASE cert like its a doctorate.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Lol @ throwing around ASE cert like its a doctorate.

He asked what authority I made my claims. ASE doesn't give me authority, but it does mean I have a general idea about what I'm talking about.

Take a practice test. It's not a gimme.

01cbule: The ABS system is not as primitive as you may think.

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts
He asked what authority I made my claims. ASE doesn't give me authority, but it does mean I have a general idea about what I'm talking about.

Take a practice test. It's not a gimme.

Practice test? No thanks I've got A1 thought A9 and L1.

·
Registered
716 Posts
It may not be primitive but its unnecessary. Im faster at autox and HPDEs without it

Can you out-brake ABS in the rain? Probably not. I'd also be willing to bet in a multi-hour endurance race, you'd be faster and more consistent with the ABS. It also saves you from cording expensive tires due to an accidental lock-up.

ABS can be a valuable tool, although many of us (myself included) get along without it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
pulled the plug, and used non abs hub bearing. It is driving fine, and for some reason the pedal feels more consistent, i would get an initial softer feel before. Is this even possible? or are my senses playing tricks on me?

·
enormous gay swords.
6,360 Posts
Can you out-brake ABS in the rain? Probably not. I'd also be willing to bet in a multi-hour endurance race, you'd be faster and more consistent with the ABS. It also saves you from cording expensive tires due to an accidental lock-up.

ABS can be a valuable tool, although many of us (myself included) get along without it.
If I ever get into a situation where I'm competitively racing in the rain, I'll back off unless there's something at stake. And who enduro races a miata?

*a street driven miata

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've heard of people just transferring over the ABS ring..

First thing i tried. The abs hub bearing is thicker, so the ring is too big for the non abs hub bearing. Are the non abs units lighter? seems so, i think i will make the switch. I was fine without abs on my 90, and i hate a car correcting me.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

sensors? this is for 1994 miata, i thought there was only one sensor? 94+ spec miatas have to remove the whole abs system or that sensor to compete, or at least that is what i remember reading.

·
Registered
716 Posts
sensors? this is for 1994 miata, i thought there was only one sensor? 94+ spec miatas have to remove the whole abs system or that sensor to compete, or at least that is what i remember reading.
IIRC the miata has a 3 channel ABS system. There will be more than 1 wheel speed sensor throughout the system. There will be one sensor on one front wheel, the rear 2 wheels should have 2 sensors.

I would recommend pulling the whole system if you do try to disable the ABS. Don't just start unplugging/removing things.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
I didn't mean to come across like I think that it is. I was only trying to make up a "x is like y but with this" comparison that I made up completely off the cuff. Chimpanzees pouring tea on a fire? Who the hell says that?

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
I prefer non-abs over abs. The abs on my car makes my pedal feel like a sponge. I've thought about removing it, but I'm lazy and its my DD so I'll leave it be.

·
3,857 Posts
The ABS system in the miata is pretty decent, I'm not sure if you can transfer the ABS ring, I would just pay a few buck more and get the right part ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts