ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Non roadster DD gets PAINT!

Enjoy a non-roadster rebuild of sorts...:)

After a few years out of the Nissan scene, I've recently aquired another Pig... for FREE. Hopefully one day I can have this thing restored back to it's original state for DD purposes. Nothing fancy, just clean and comfortable. It's no Miata but it'll suffice for something to do in my spare time.

Back story is: a friend had pick it up at some point with a screwed title; several signatures/notaries/and no legal transfer of title. After doing a bit of work for said friend, I aquired the car for free. First things first were to get the title fixed and in my name. I went to the DMV got the required paper work to file an indemnity bond and put it all in a file for later use. After obtaining a bond, a theft inspector has to view the car and match VIN's, Etc; however, before the inspector comes to look at the car, it must be in "operational" condition, which means it has to run.
So here I am now, restoring this old piggy to its old glory from '89, so I can get the title finalized.

I am working on a very limited budget. Also, I just joined the Navy, so come February, if I haven't finished the car, this thread will die out for a while until training is through (and I'll be going through the most hellatious of training).

Plans: Well, I don't really have any set in stone. Im focused on getting the interior redone. Waiting on new carpet to arrive, cleaned all of the dust/rats nests out of the heater core and evap core boxes, seeking ac parts for a dohc car, and fixing the HUD unit. Also installing S14 interior that I just got. I've got tons of other pictures and more updates as of now, but have yet to upload them. I'll continue to post as the weeks progress. Engine bay prep and paint is also in the works so I can drop the soon to be rebuilt KA back in.

Pictures: I have a ton of work ahead of me...
Pick Up

A good wash on the trailer

Arriving to its new home in storage... somewhat clean

Interior tear down

Engine bay almost stripped, getting ready for prep... gotta remove all that undercoat crap for nice epoxy primer/base/clear jet black paint.

immediate things to do:
remove sound suppression **** on bottom of floor pan
reupholster door panels/glove box/headliner/and rear deck speaker cover
install HUD dash(no cracks)
prep engine bay for primer/paint
replace driver door harness
find misc interior pieces missing (door handles/switches)
install new ebrake lever
run stereo wiring before carpet install

·
Big Pimpin'
8,505 Posts
RB26DETT of course :cool:

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Love those OneVia's! we only got the s13 Coupe 200sx's over here...
But atleast we got the turbo engines;)

What engine will you be droppin in there?
Wanna go to a junk yard and grab me a front end? :) Maybe some lights:rolleyes:

RB26DETT of course :cool:
Bahh... fuckkk no.

Stock DOHC KA with SOHC pistons/arp studs.

·
Supporting Member
2,299 Posts
Cool deal, I bought a 240 a couple months ago and have done jack with it. My parents are eyeing it in the driveway like they want it crushed. I guess I should put it on ebay or something...

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
you.... do know it's both easier AND cheaper to just run a RWD sr20 right?
wow, all this about sr's, rb's, and ca's....

Plan is sohc ka pitsons in a dohc ka motor with a decent rod, possibly megasquirt, and custom gsxr itb's. i'll be satisfied with 180hp NA.

IF I did a swap it would likely be a CA.

·
I'm a little teapot
5,764 Posts
you.... do know it's both easier AND cheaper to just run a RWD sr20 right?
the engine will bolt right up to the tranny, I'm not positive but I think the engine mounts are in the same place ... so the only differences are wiring harness and manifold (might be a few things you have to tap in order to get the Turbo setup running). *shrugs*

I just think that the extra compression is worth the effort. My buddy is working on his NX build right now and the estimate is around 240-250 at the wheel. Granted he's running a t28 over the t25, but he's only pushing 8lbs. Stock SR20DET out of a silvia runs what? ~190 at the wheels?

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Non-Roadster DD Build - UPDATED 9/1/09

Ellis Juan

LS1

COINCIDENCE?
eh... nah. lol.

I've been busy working on the car as time permits over the past week and a half or so. Seems like things are starting to shape up a bit. There is tons of work to be done, and I'm still trying to source a few small items. Also waiting on a few items to come in the mail. On to pictures...

Reupholstered the door panels and glove box in black suede. Ended up with a crease in the door panels with I hope to work out at a later point. Pictures below are right after I finished, and un cleaned. Looking at them in person does them alot more justice. I'm pretty happy with how they turned out.

Also got around to removing the sound deadening material on the bottom of the floor pan. Didn't take many pictures, but I'm sure you've all seen what this looks like. I had a bit of help from a frew buddies with this one over the weekend. Need to go get a few more lbs of dry ice and finish up some of the smaller areas.

Tonight I started stripping the undercoating garbage in the engine bay. I'm hopeing to have it preped and ready for paint within the next two weeks. This is some nasty stuff, and I eneded up running out of natural day light so I got what I could done and stopped for the night. I'm going to try and finish up with the "[aint stripping part tomorrow so I can begin sanding and blocking it. I'll be using a self etching spray primer, PPG Epoxy Primer/Sealer, PPG Jet Black Base and Clear. Hopefully it'll turn out half decent. I've never painted or attempted to paint, so it'll be a good learning experience. I'm getting a few pointers from another board member. ;)

Last but not least, I picked up a set of S14 seats for nothing at the end of last week. After scouring a few junk yards, I stumbled across for $30. Also picked up a set of Q45 brakes for $20 at the same yard. Next week I'll go get my J30 hubs and modify them for the 5 lug conversion and new wheels.

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
I have a large amount of turbo stuff lying around my house from my KA-T....whole setup, actually. If you're interested in anything (Walbro fuel pump, SR injectors, spare KA fuel rail, turbo, FMIC (Greddy), piping, oil lines, etc) let me know.

And yes, S13 coupe FTW. I wish I wanted to keep mine....but I want a E36 sedan, bad.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts