ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Got my second miata a few weeks ago, the first was a sunburst 92. This one is a red 95 PEP package. Just thought I'd stop in and say hello since it appears I'll be needing 30 posts just to view/post in the classifieds. Completely understand the reasoning though.

Little history on me: From VA, Virginia Tech graduate, currently in Knoxville, TN working on my pharm.D. I've been into cars for my whole life and got into autocross at 16. I've had 15 cars, I autocrossed 8 of them: 90 Si->CRX->celica->WRX->EP3->1st miata->RSX-S->S13 240 just regionally never anything competitive really. I'm building miata #2 to run STR since it has a torsen, I know it doesn't stand much of a chance against S2000's but I'm going to give it a shot anyway. Here's some obligatory intro pictures: (not many of the new car yet)

Story on my first miata:
I had been wanting to take on a monster miata project for about a year. I spread the word to all the car people I knew that I was looking for a shell. After about 6 months my friend called and said he had found a yellow miata for $300. Knowing it was a sunburst I went to look immediately. A local towing company had closed and the car was at the former owner's private residence and had been there for years. Was involved in a minor accident (A-arm damage, cracked oil pan, slight fender damage). The car didn't have a title but I was ok with that because it was destined to be a V8 track rat anyway. Soon after buying the car I realized it was way too nice for my intended purposes. It already had jackson front and rear sways, illumina handling kit, and an intake. I set out to find the previous owner, and did. Turns out the car had been stolen from him 6 years prior. The car was wrecked by the thief and the towing company towed it to their location. The prev. owner (PO) had no idea where the car had gone, a year later he received a certified letter stating that the car was in storage at said towing company and that he owed $4,000 in storage fees to get it back. After a short unresolved legal battle he just let the towing company keep the car. The towing company went out of business because of this shady business practice and led to a change in VA law about how towing companies notify the owner of vehicles about the whereabouts of the vehicle. The PO was nice enough to get me a replacement title since he was still the legal owner, he had since replaced it with a BRG M-edition. I did a partial restore and enjoyed the car for about a year when life caught up with me and I had to sell to keep my head above water. I hope the car's still out there making someone a nice vehicle.

^notice the NB wheels, I couldn't afford a whole miata yet but I could get parts from one

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're working in the 3 browsers I have installed. Does this forum have trouble with imageshack hosting?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just drove through JC today, I had to go back to Bristol to get my VA license tags. I'm maintaining my VA residency, insurance is way too expensive here in Knoxville. I completely understand why, I see some of the most ridiculous stuff on I-40 every day, not to mention the gratuitous amounts of hail damage everywhere.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah they're RSX wheels, I got my fiancé an 03 RSX-S 2 summers ago and put some wheels on it so I had the stockers sitting around. They were 3 lbs lighter than the factory element wheels so I was able to go to a +1 225/70/16 tire and not gain much unsprung weight. Plus they look great on there!

Here are some of my vehicles from the other end of the spectrum, lifted:

Snowboarding slut

The old lady's RSX:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks man, I've noticed more than a few element owners also own miatas. Might have to start a poll and see just how many are out there.

They're both polarizing cars, you either love them or hate them. I guess that might drive the same type of people towards both of them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Updates:

M45 JRSC, ~7psi, 01-05 injectors, 5° retard on the intake cam, powercard and olderguy O2 clamp, jackson BTC. Works for now hopefully MSPNP this year. Other stuff: Vmaxx track pack, torsen LSD, urethane diff mounts, mazda comp. engine mounts, FM sways, Custom cowl intake, Cobalt full exhaust, Riceland header, Hard Dog Sport, Powerstop rotors/pads, Bride Digo seats (waiting for me to fab up some brackets), Chapparral S15 painted "stainless steel" with 195/50 R1Rs, 13mm miatacage spacers, ART extended studs.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks man! One of the first cars I've ever been almost "finished" with, as soon as I get my rails fabbed up for my bride seats I think It's complete. Needs a canvas top but not until this one starts leaking or tears.

Lol I didn't think JC was that far away from Knox

1 - 20 of 29 Posts