ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so a looked around the internet a little bit to see if I could solve the problem. When I get my car anywhere above 45mph, I start to hear this whooping noise. It sounded like I either needed a tire rotation, balancing or just new tires in general. I ended up buying new tires just cuz my old ones were dry rotted and treadless, but the sound still persists. My alignment check said my camber and toe angle were just like .03 degrees away from due from regular wear & tear. I figured that I wouldn't get my car aligned since I'm broke & the angles weren't really bad. Is it that I needed that alignment? Or could it be something else? Mind you that the car had hidden front end damage before I bought it. I hope that doesn't have anything to do with the noise. Hopefully, that accident didn't **** the suspension or the front arms. That's the last thing I need... Can anyone help diagnose my problem?

·
Chinchilla Rancher
3,880 Posts
Sounds like it could be your differential. I've heard that if our cars get in frontal collisions that the crush sleeve on the pinion can get tweaked and cause problems. Your pinion bearing could be in the beginning stage of wearing out. It'll eventually get louder at lower speeds and turn into a whining noise as its making the "whooping" noise. IF that is what this is.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it could be your differential. I've heard that if our cars get in frontal collisions that the crush sleeve on the pinion can get tweaked and cause problems. Your pinion bearing could be in the beginning stage of wearing out. It'll eventually get louder at lower speeds and turn into a whining noise as its making the "whooping" noise. IF that is what this is.
Ok that sounds reasonable. Even though the car was hit in the front, the noise actually seems to come from behind, as in the rear tires or axles or whatever. I'm just hoping that my chassis/ frame wasn't thrown all off because that would just be a world of trouble.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh boy. I found some at autozone for $25 each.. But this would mean that I'd have to move the whole axle assembly passed the parking break assembly to get to the bearings huh?

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Anymore ideas? I don't think it's a bent axle because the car rides smooth. For the same reason, it probably isn't bent wheels. All I'm getting by searching is "balance or rotate your tires".

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Your wheel bearings need to be replaced

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good Idea. Have you ever heard the term "catastrophic failure"?
Absolutely. There are actually phrases like "daily driver", "full-time student" and "I work too much" that compliment the fact that I don't have time to take my car apart to check it out. ****'s weak. If anything does happen, I'm just gonna curl into the fetal position and cry my eyes out. Always solves my problems.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Wow, thats a fantastic way of looking at lifes problems. Fix your car before you put your life or someone elses at risk. Dont cheap out. It will cost you more in the end once other stuff starts breaking as a result of your negligence. ****'s weak.....

·
Registered
400 Posts
Just to give you a real life example Chase...

My friend had a wheel bearing going out in his Lude. He drove on it for awhile, and figured he'd fix it later. Well, within a week, then thing hit a tree doing 50. Luckily he survived, but, theres a good chance he wouldnt have.

So your options are either a wheel bearing/life, or whole car/possible death.

Your choice.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Woah guys. Sarcasm...
I think I have OCD about my things. I feel like everything has to be perfect, which is why I tried to fix the problem in the 1st place. If you guys saw my other thread about how the car was damaged & I spent ALL my money & even my girlfriend's money to fix it. You'd know that I can't stand my stuff to be less than satisfactory. I don't have the time or money to fix it now, but that's definitely next on my list. **** is weak, but for now, I have to deal with school & work. I pray that I'm not unfortunate enough to go off and run into anything, or anyone. Thanks for letting me know what is wrong and my consequences if I don't fix it. I didn't know it could be that serious. You guys are good people!

With that said, I guess it's back to the Altima for a couple of days. I guess my Miater isn't ready for DD yet :(

·
Registered
167 Posts
if your hearing noise from the wheels its most probably the wheel bearings, the sound is very distinct, its like whump whump whump, and increases as you drive quicker, make sure you replace both rears and the fronts, if your rears are bad, chances are the fronts are gonna give out soon as well

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
if your hearing noise from the wheels its most probably the wheel bearings, the sound is very distinct, its like whump whump whump, and increases as you drive quicker, make sure you replace both rears and the fronts, if your rears are bad, chances are the fronts are gonna give out soon as well
Ok, gotcha. Thank you all very much!

·
Registered
29 Posts
I just changed out my rear passenger wheel bearing and hub this past week! I drove for about 5 months with the bad wheel bearing whump... whomp.. whump sound. Yes I'm a broke college student and yes it was stupid to not fork up the money and time to replace it I could've died. I bought a rear passenger knuckle with a new hub and bearing pressed in already from a local spec miata guy and replaced it myself. It only took about an hour from putting the car up and down to replace the whole knuckle assembly. Saved time and money by just buying the whole assembly and saved $250+ on labor just doing it myself.
The only thing you have to worry about is praying that your axle isn't fused to your hub. Mine slid right off and I slapped some anti-seize all over the axle before I put the new hub on.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts