ClubRoadster.net banner

3781 - 3800 of 3833 Posts

·
1000% Jake
4,562 Posts

It's running great. The ride with the ISC tophats and 300/200 springs is unexpectedly good. I heard nothing but bad things from people who built homebrew Koni coilovers and I was expecting it to be hopeless. My girlfriend described it as 'plush'... it's smooth.

I epoxied my ISC valve completely shut. This required me to adjust the throttle plate stop, but now it idles at 900 rpm, so I'm happy.

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,630 Posts

It's running great. The ride with the ISC tophats and 300/200 springs is unexpectedly good. I heard nothing but bad things from people who built homebrew Koni coilovers and I was expecting it to be hopeless. My girlfriend described it as 'plush'... it's smooth.

I epoxied my ISC valve completely shut. This required me to adjust the throttle plate stop, but now it idles at 900 rpm, so I'm happy.
Camber gang?

Glad to see its up and running. Come play some time!

·
1000% Jake
4,562 Posts
Well, now that I fixed the idle, it's overheating. In fact, there's no coolant flow through the heater core at all.

I flushed the heater core, I flushed the block, there's lots of flow through both. However when I disconnect the heater return line and start the motor... nothing. No coolant comes out, even when revving the engine.

It overheats on the highway, too. Not much, but it's getting hot. Very little heat in the cabin.

I have to pull the water pump. I'm not happy.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Why don't you loop the heater core lines and see if that fixes the problem? It honestly sounds like you have a clogged heater core.

·
1000% Jake
4,562 Posts
I thought so too, so I cut up a hose I had lying around and hooked one end up to the heater core exit line (the return line to the water pump) and the other end to my hot water heater, and ran about 20 gallons of hot water through the heater core and the block. I just left the radiator drain plug open.

There was some rust that came out, and the flow seemed to be restricted at first, but eventually I was able to get enough flow to overwhelm the radiator drain easily.

I can disconnect the heater line right where it comes out of the block and see if there's any flow when the engine is running. There should be, right?

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
Yes it comes out of the back of the block when it's cold, into the heater core, and back into the water pump.

·
1000% Jake
4,562 Posts
I thought so. Nothing seems to be working the way I expect, though. Like, when I try to burp the system with the nose of the car elevated, the water level in the radiator never drops, even after the thermostat opens. Water just slowly overflows the radiator neck. Revving the engine doesn't seem to help.

I'll mess with it more tomorrow.

·
CSTG
3,229 Posts
You need a bleeding funnel for that. It'll rise as coolant temp rises, then fall. It's very hard to do properly without a funnel

·
Lonely White Girl
5,739 Posts
Does anyone need winter tires? Discount tire is having a $100 off coupon when you spend more than $400. If anyone needs some cheap winter tires let me know and we could split the $100 off coupon.

·
1000% Jake
4,562 Posts
There is good coolant flow directly from the back of the head at idle. This is good.

So when I put the heater back into the circuit, coolant was flowing out of the return line as well. I'm going to keep the heater in for now and try and flush it out. I do kind of want my heater to work.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
heyo,

I'll be in Tacoma for business December 17,18,19. Any miata peeps near there? Looking for a good burger and maybe to meet a few new miata friends.

-Rob

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,630 Posts
Stay Friday night and come to Dicks in Edmonds. You can ride with or drive one of mine. Now I'm stalking you...

PM your number if you wanna. We can play.

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Stay Friday night and come to Dicks in Edmonds. You can ride with or drive one of mine. Now I'm stalking you...

PM your number if you wanna. We can play.
Would be rad but I'm pretty sure I'm working Saturday. Probably dinner one night would be all that would go.

3781 - 3800 of 3833 Posts