ClubRoadster.net banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
First Things First I'm The Realist
8,638 Posts
Dammit man. Learn to format for ADD people like me.

Text
Photo
Text
Photo
Text
Photo

Your text wall and photo album ways hurt my brain. Just know that I’m always right.

P.S. Glad to see some progress.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Your build looks great! I have a 79 GS1000 that was my dads. I inherited it but not being a rider it scared me. DSCN0073_zps6aqfjnvo_1567285500057.jpg
So I built myself a smaller, tamer little bobber to learn on. This is Blu my 84 Honda Shadow 500. 20190803_091820_1567285659086.jpg

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Looks good! I'm assuming you did the tank dents yourself? I've been thinking about adding some to the back half of mine but I'm pretty nervous about it lol. Yours looks like a cut and weld? I think I'd just go for denting it with a dead blow. I read that filling it with sand makes it easier to control, but then obviously you've gotta get the sand out which could be pretty miserable.

A lot to consider.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I just hammered in the sides with a dead blow hammer. It had a dent in one side 20180830_125409_1567518625028.jpg so I fixed it by making it bigger and did the other side to match. 20180830_130152_1567518662213.jpg
I did mine empty but if you wanted to add resistance Id fill it with water rather than sand, it'll come out easier. You have to have a single walled tank too, at some point Honda and a bunch of other manufacturers went to a double walled tank to prevent leaks in accidents.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Nice!

Yeah I considered water but sand just seems easier to handle. Less annoying when it spills for starters. The getting it out part is the only downside I think. The solution there would be multiple rinses followed by a tank liner line kreem. I need to do my cb360 anyway, so I might as well do the suzuki too since I believe there's some rust in there. That'd lock any particles left in there into the epoxy anyway.

Over the next week I'm focusing on just getting one jetski running for the last ride of the year, then I'll be switching back to this and miata stuff. I wanted this going by halloween but I'm not optimistic at this point.

·
100% Jakedashian
7,251 Posts
I like the look of the tank dents but I can't get past the loss in fuel capacity. My bike only does 130mi on a tank as it is; I don't want to lose any more of that precious range

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
With this being a hard tail and me destroying the ergos I don't think I'll ever be pushing the limits of the range on mine. I'm just doin it for the 'gram.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Kinda neat update. I'll try my best to add the pictures in such a way that I don't bother y'all. Smh.

So last week was my buddy's bachelor party. We needed to all pretend like we were busy so he didn't catch on, so when I got home from work I started working on the bobber and sending updates to look busy.

Notched out the other side of the frame and ran that pin through it to open it up like I did on the other side. Everything went pretty smoothly which is cool. It was a little more work because the second side has the kickstand stuff all welded to it and there's thicker metal in a few spots. From there I fine tuned the openings to make sure everything will sit straight. Neat.

The next step was to verify I'd be able to do what I wanted to do. So I cut like 2.5" of unneeded steel off of the bends for those lower tubes and started hitting the end of one with my belt grinder. See, the original plan was to use a metal plug that would fit inside of the tube and inside of the frame, and weld both to the plug and at the seam, but the more I looked at it, the more it seemed like a better idea to just shave some material off of the tube and insert the whole tube in rather than use the plug. It's lighter, and there'll be less welding. Should be PLENTY strong. Here is one tube shaved down a bit, only like .020 in diameter removed.

The spot I'm pointing to is about how deep it is. Somewhere around 2.5" and I'd like to see another 1-1.5" of penetration (Fat chance, I know). This is still longer than it needs to be though, I just wanted to verify it was gonna do what I wanted it to do. So the next step was to figure out the length.

I mocked it up with it being the full length of what I have.. and you know, I didn't hate it. It's definitely too long, but, at this point I'm leaning away from the oem length. I think it needs some stretch..

The upper tube is just laying on the frame, the lower is inserted and the back is held together with some old hydraulic hose lol.

I also think I'm going to go a different route with my axle plate and tensioner design. I actually don't hate this wrap around style at the back. That axle plates would just go inside in front of that bend by like an inch. The normal tensioners work by pulling the axle back, if I went with this design it would have to push it back instead of pull. It's something to ponder.

Anyway, I decided I'd never get an idea for the size of the stretch that'd look good unless I added wheels. So here it is with wheels, the gas tank, at about 4" of stretch. There are a million reasons it'll look better than this when done, so don't get too hung up on details right now. I like the wheel placement etc, and I'm 90% sure this is the length I'm gonna cut everything for. Will update when that happens.

Attachments

·
8,638 Posts
Looks good man. Having a tank and wheels definitely help see what’s what.

And thank you Jesus for in-line photos.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Thanks man. Yeah. I think the tank and wheels really help the visual, even if they're not really sitting how they will when everything is done. It's got a long ways to go, but I'm getting very close now to doing some welding which is neat. It'll be cool to start adding stuff back on.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Well, I managed to get both tubes inserted into the frame and the length I need. Next on the list is working on the upper tubes that come down. Then I'll start with the welding.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Is it done yet?
It's been done for months I'm just posting old pictures pretending like I haven't been riding it since July 14th.

I really wish it was done, lol. The hard parts that are as follows..

1. Get the tube coped so it fits up against the existing frame well, and it fits properly/straight while also being the correct length. Very little margin for error here.

2. Get the axle plates mounted straight and make them not look terrible.

That's really it. After that I'll send it to a guy to sandblast and paint it for me and I can start putting a few things back together. The motor means cleaning and a few broken exhaust bolts removed, plus a stator cover from when it was crashed. My dad will probably pop the dents on the tank for me since he's into that sort of thing and my buddy will paint it. I'm going to run the stock headers but cut off right where they'd usually go into the mufflers. I have to lower the forks internally but that's not a big job really.

Once I get passed the two things above the rest of it is pretty smooth sailing honestly. I'd love to have it done by halloween but I'm sure I won't. Lol

·
8,638 Posts
That’s not a terrible punch list. I couldn’t remember what you had left on the mechanical/motor side.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
The motor should be good to go minus a good scrubbing and the exhaust bolts being removed and the cover I mentioned. The bike ran, it was just hit at an intersection which bent the subframe which I'd thrown in the scrap pile anyway.

I need to make a battery box that sits where the swingarm used to be but that's pretty quick and easy too. Really once the hard tail is done it should come together nicely.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I do need to practice welding though. I'll be using a different wire than I'm used to and it needs to actually look decent and keep me alive. Usually I'm just slapping something together that's not super critical.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
With the lower tubes in the frame it was time to start the upper tubes that come down. This is item #1 above. I was pretty nervous honestly. First thing I wanted to do was mock everything up and make sure I wasn't doing the wrong thing. By that I mean I liked the wheel placement in the pictures from the last page but the tubes were way off obviously so I wanted to verify that with them looking a bit more correct I'd still like it. The results are below.

I love it.

Used a pretty precise method (HA) of filing/grinding and holding it up to the frame and marking where it was hitting and then going back at it again. Took a few hours to do both.

Unfortunately on the second one I though I'd save some time and hog off a bunch of material from the start with my belt grinder. I'm an idiot though and it rotated in my hand. So when I went to check it the thing was way off. So dumb. Luckily after hand fitting the thing I avoided tragedy by a little bit. You can see the plane I should be notching this below here, with the plane it's actually notched lol. Below that you can see the results.

Overall not a huge problem. I can bridge that gap with spot welds before I run a bead over it and it'll disappear.

Here's the view from the back. Looks pretty damn good to me!

Attachments

·
100% Jakedashian
7,251 Posts
Something something grinder and paint welder I ain't. I'm no stranger to 3D printing with a MIG welder when hacking together exhausts out of garbage that doesn't fit together.

Looking good.

21 - 40 of 52 Posts