ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend just got back from Scotland and asked me to ID this car they saw there. That distinctive grille ought to be a tip-off. I like the single wiper arm. The ducts in the hood make it seem it's front-engine, but then it has those huge ducts in the rear fenders as if it's mid-engine...

·
Registered
340 Posts
Vauxhall VX220

essentially an Elise, with a more powerful engine, and a different body. Made by Lotus for Vauxhall(GM?)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So is it front or rear engine? If front, why the big honkin' side ducts?

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
1st Gen Elise, with a Vauxhall engine. Bit of a lame duck car, as Vauxhall are no longer interested in subcontracting out production of these types of cars to manufacturers like Lotus.

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
If I remember correctly, I thought that I read that the chassis for the Solstice/Sky is somewhat based on the Speedster GT/VX220, which in turn is mostly old Elise...

·
CR.net Supporter
324 Posts
In the UK it's called a Vauxhall VX220 and in Europe the Opel Speedster. They are good cars, Elise based with arguably better engines, less faults but not many people like the Vauxhall/GM badge. Originally they were 2.2 litres but later ones also had a turbo option. They are related to the Solstice, but from what I have read, that car is no where near as 'dedicated' as this kind of car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
the replacement for the first generation speedster/vx220 is a clone of the new saturn sky. the old car was built off the elise platform and the new car will be built off the solstice platform. ie - there's no blood relation between the car in this thread and the solstice.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts