ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
718 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey hope this is the right forum for this since there isn't a transmission section..

anyways, a couple days ago the miata started not shifting into gear, and I couldnt figure out what the hell to do to try to fix it [while attempting to merge onto the freeway]. after driving a few miles stuck in 4th i got off and tried to find out how to shift into other gears. turns out I could only get out of 4th with extreme difficulty. at the stoplight, it shifted fine into first, but again, had difficulty getting out of first and into second. pulled over to try to fix it while trying to simultaneously avoid every other high school kid on the road, and I finally got it to work. all I had to do was pump on the clutch a few times (2-3, fully depressing and releasing the pedal).

after that, it was fine for the rest of the day, but then the morning after, I got stuck in 1st and had to pump the pedal a couple times again. now it just happens intermittently, maybe 2 or 3 times a day, and mostly in the morning when its cold.

has anyone else had this issue before? I mean, it's not really a big deal in terms of interrupting driving and stuff, but I'm worried my tranny is screwed up. I think it's the synchros or my clutch or master cylinder going, and my dad thinks it's just a clutch adjustment, but I haven't had the chance to get my car on a lift and get it checked out, so I really have no clue.

any help or advice would really be appreciated. thanks.

oh and it's a 93 1.6 if that helps.

·
2,708 Posts
Have you checked the fluid level? My guess would be the slave cylinder going bad. When that goes, it still allows you to shift into 1st, so pressumably, you can still get your ass home. :p

Is there fluid along the firewall where the master cylinder is? Is there fluid in the driver's side footwell?

·
Banned
968 Posts
yea mine did the same thing i couldnt shift into any gear without pumping either its low fluid or bad slave cylinder.....

turns out my slave cylinder was bad and it was quick fix for like $35 and it only took 20 min to replace with shop lift........

that should fix your problem either put it on a lift or jack it up and check the slave cylinder that little seal might have went out which happened in mine and its about $35 at local parts store (advance auto parts for a 95)

·
Supporting Member
1,670 Posts
Yup.
Buy a new slave cylinder.
I had the same issue about 3 months after I bought my car. Very frustrating stuff when its 34* outside and the wind is blowing at 40mph with sleet. But its really only about a 30 min job in normal conditions.

·
Registered
517 Posts
DO NOT DRIVE AROUND UNTIL YOU FIX YOUR CLUTCH HYDRAULICS.

If the clutch isn't fully disengaging you are putting abnormally high stress on your tranny, unless you are quite good at rev-matching.

Sounds to me like you are low on fluid or either one of the cylinders crapped out on you.

·
Registered
459 Posts
slave cylinder sounds right to check. but see if you got a break in the line. if you gotta change the slave, change the clutch master as well cuz it usually ends up the next to go. shifting clutchless might be a good idea to get to the shop if you do got a leaky slave.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Just top it off with dot3+ brake fluid and go to Mazda for a new slave. The leak is usually pretty slow so you should be okay with a little driving.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts