ClubRoadster.net banner

NRG Quick Release?

3K views 28 replies 15 participants last post by  Marty 
#1 ·
I was thinking of adding this. What pieces do I need? Just the hub and the quick release? Where is the best place to pick this up? eBay?

Thanks guys

#2 ·
Yeah, that should do it. it can be used with any hub and wheel with a momo bolt pattern. It pushes the wheel pretty far out but I really like where it ended up, it's erfect if you've got long leags and frees up a lot of knee room.

I bought Mine (a red generation 1) for like $70 shipped on ebay, but I think Forum sponsor C2auto can get them fairly cheaply too.

#4 ·
Yeah. I don't have any pics right now. I have a custom hub, but it's about the same size as the standard hubs you get from Daikei or Momo. If you don't like where it puts the wheel NRG makes a slim hub, but it's not necessary.

Some people don't like where it puts the wheel; I remember JesseCLee said he thought it was too close.

I'm 5'10 with long legs for my height so my seat is pretty far back anyway. It opened up lots of leg room.

#15 ·
^^Someone motioned "Personal" it's a JDM term for Nardi mounts, if I recall... :)

This is the exact setup I was looking at (ebay sites are for reference only):

Black NRG 3cm Short Hub
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-...5QQihZ009QQcategoryZ33704QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Black NRG G 2.5 Quick Release Hub
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NRG-...emQQcategoryZ33704QQihZ009QQitemZ190108364275

I wasn't going to get the additional lockable cover.

Supposedly the 2 and 2.5 versions are supposed to be vastly improved over the
previous 1 version, which I have heard is still extra good (comparied even to the more expensive brands).
The miata seems to a have a robust steering array to
begin with, so these hubs are going to work pretty well from what I've gathered.

And now also by what A935, Crim, That7, and the rest are attesting to. Hince this
was my choice. I wanted to go for theshortest hub & the 2.5 so when that one time I'm wearing racing gloves, I can take easliy take it off as I pass the grandstands
and throw it to the cutest girl... quickly.

#19 ·
So will the NRG hub and quick release will reduce the distance of the steering wheel or not. Really thinking of picking this up because I believe the wheel is really close to my legs and wanted to reduced the steering wheel distance anyway possible.
its a night and day difference. im 6' so i had the wheel rubbing on my legs for awhile. even with a deep rally style momo wheel. but once i put in the full size nrg quick release the wheel moved up and away from my knees allowing for heel-toe action and better steering.

#20 ·
I could have sworn I saw in SCC recently that there is a narrower NRG quick release hub, that doesnt push out the wheel so far.

The hub pictured above moves the wheel out about as far as my deep dish steering wheel, at least thats how its felt when I sat in my friends cars. Great for legroom for sure. I dont think I would try a deep dish steering wheel on a quick release hub though, it would be way too close I think, you could steer with your teeth.

#21 ·
#22 ·
I could have sworn I saw in SCC recently that there is a narrower NRG quick release hub, that doesnt push out the wheel so far.

The hub pictured above moves the wheel out about as far as my deep dish steering wheel, at least thats how its felt when I sat in my friends cars. Great for legroom for sure. I dont think I would try a deep dish steering wheel on a quick release hub though, it would be way too close I think, you could steer with your teeth.
are you referring to this?

#24 ·

are you referring to this?

He's talking about the NRG V3 qr. Combined with the NRG short hub I believe it actually makes the wheels sit in further than stock

#25 ·
Im only 5'8'' and the stock wheel sits in just the right place for me. I have enough loeg room but sometimes my leg hits the wheel when I heel toe. I figured a smaller diameter steering wheel would give me just enough room.

SO, I am looking for a hub/quick release combo that will put the wheel (a flat one, probably a Personal) right around the same distance as the stock wheel. Im thinking about going with a Momo Hub and the slim NRG QR pictured above. Or if thats still to close to the body I might have to go with the NGR short hub.

Any opinions?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.