ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK,I know it's been asked before but no one seems to have the answer.
Has anyone actually bought a set of OBX Miata ITBs and put them to use yet?
I am looking for reviews,pics,vids,and install descriptions not speculations.
Everyone wants to say "buy brand A,it's WAY better".But where I live Brand A costs almost $1000 than OBX.

Also:any idea if a Link ECM can control ITBs with their less than perfect vacuum?

·
Registered
504 Posts
If you have searched and haven't found an answer, there probably isn't an answer. The last thread about this topic was pretty recent and gave no new ideas on the OBX ITBs. Buy them, be a trend setter.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I did read a thread on some other forum that said the obx unit was substantially heavier than the Jenvey one. Seemed like overall it is a workable unit though. I'm tempted to get one, but the prices on pre-owned jenvey setups seems to be very compelling versus a new obx that I'd have to fit.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't know if the issues cross over from setup to setup, however, I think they are using the same throttle bodies on their V8 and I4 setups (44mm) so I think the "hot-engine, sticking-throttle" (sounds like a bad movie title) issue would carry over to these. One of the guys on yellowbullet was able to fix a set of OBX ITBs by knife-edging the throttle plates, installing stronger return springs, clearancing the throttle shafts and making linkage couplers to take some of the play out of the system and balance the throttles better. Of course, he is a machinist for a living so there is that.

I was looking at one for my LS swap engine, and I wound up going with a Harrop, the OBX just seems to have poor fit and finish and requires a lot of extra machining to make it run ok (at least from what I've found on the V8 forums). For the price, I would just save that towards a decent setup like Jenvey or a Toyota ITB swap. 44mm is undersized for a V8 application, but I agree with the above poster that it is likely to be overkill on a little 1.8L I4.

·
Registered
820 Posts
I bought OBX headers and I can tell you that they were sh*t so I'm guessing the itb's aren't going to be a very quality product.
I've had their header and catback on my NA for seven years now and they are both in top shape and have caused no problems. That kind of inconsistency in user experience is due to poor quality control, if any. I bet their ITBs are kind of like a compressor from Harbor Freight: Once you upgrade some of the hardware and fittings, it's technically ok...ymmv

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
The only OBX part I've ever owned was their aluminum coolant overflow tank and the mounting tabs were way off. I had to tweak them quite a bit to get them to work but it was fine after that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts