ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was hoping I'd be able to replicate a late-model Lexus style instrument cluster with some leftover LEDs (have got a couple 100 LED packs unopened, and then some) so I've got some supplies and a spare cluster, and was hoping to cook up something in my spare time.

Then I found out it's not just bulb covers, but also a green tint behind the OEM gauges that I'm battling.

Anybody have a real high quality scan of the faces so I could replicate that?

If not, it's cool. I might have to take it to Kinko's to get it printed on something not paper anyway :mrgreen:

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
I think there once was a German website with good scans of stock gauge faces as a template for making your own. I'll try to find them.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Just a heads up, the color green is the easiest to see in the dark for human eyes. That's why night vision goggles have green-tinted screens, we can simply see more colors of green than any other color. If you plan on looking at your gauges a lot at night, you might want to keep them green. Red is the hardest color for us to see, which is why "red" illumated gauges have an orange tint to them. The gauges in my Mazdaspeed Protege are hard-as-hell to see at dusk because the red color is so faint in my vision. Blue is "easy" to see because it's super irrating.

..Just saying.

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
well, that blue anyways.

blue actually is one of the dimmer colors, it travels the least farthest at night. (duh..my grammar skills are lacking at the moment..)

hence why aircraft carriers rock the blue lights on the upper deck. more than 2 miles away and you can't see them. stealth mode ftw.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Just a heads up, the color green is the easiest to see in the dark for human eyes. That's why night vision goggles have green-tinted screens, we can simply see more colors of green than any other color. If you plan on looking at your gauges a lot at night, you might want to keep them green. Red is the hardest color for us to see, which is why "red" illumated gauges have an orange tint to them. The gauges in my Mazdaspeed Protege are hard-as-hell to see at dusk because the red color is so faint in my vision. Blue is "easy" to see because it's super irrating.

..Just saying.
That's funny. Why don't they use green light instead of red light on submarines?

I changed over to red on everything other than my stereo and a/c on my NA several years ago (going red on a/c in not too distant future) and find that my eyes get less fatigued at night with the red. My NC has red gauges and they work great for me. Then again, I have naturally dilated eyes (near-sighted) so I'm more sensitive to light than most. I don't even turn on the overhead lights in my office, choosing instead to work by desk light and lava light.

YMMV.

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
There are many scientific publications in journals and the like that have covered this topic in depth but I will instead defer to this source for convenience sake.

http://www.wikihow.com/See-in-the-Dark

"Red is favored when you need to recover quickly, green or blue-green should be used for acuity."

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

..Just saying.
That's funny. Why don't they use green light instead of red light on submarines?

I changed over to red on everything other than my stereo and a/c on my NA several years ago (going red on a/c in not too distant future) and find that my eyes get less fatigued at night with the red. My NC has red gauges and they work great for me. Then again, I have naturally dilated eyes (near-sighted) so I'm more sensitive to light than most. I don't even turn on the overhead lights in my office, choosing instead to work by desk light and lava light.

YMMV.
From freedomgli's link:

"In a stargazing program, there is an option to make the screen red, this is because red does not affect your rod cells so you can look at red light forever and then look in the dark and can see well."

You can call me DR. SCIENCE.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
In other words, red is better for gauge lighting at night, because you can look at it, then back at the road without having to refocus/readjust. Makes sense to me. I noticed a significant difference between the garish green and the red on my NA.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah, I'm not saying the green is bad... It's just that I love the white glow of Lexus clusters.

That, and it's a cheap mod that (if I do it right!) will bring a smile to me every time I see that ultra-bright redline staring back at me.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I think if you can remove the gauge faces that little paint thinner or maybe acetone will remove the green coating on the back leaving them white. Its practically free and is completely OEM still.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I had amber in my 240 and have been thinking about it in the miata. is the green film like painted on the gauge itself? or is it like a lighting gel? I havent taken mine apart yet.
I've heard there's a green tint to the gauges themselves. But don't quote me on that. :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The green is like lighting gel... But it's embedded into the many layers or the plastic of the faces.

Acetone may work, but at the moment it's highly doubtful considering how a quick scratch didn't effect the green at all.

After doing some testing (aka which color doesn't blind me on the monitor), I think I might go amber with red needles. If done right, I might be able to stuff a trio of 3mm LEDs into the center of the gaude needles.

...I just hope I don't screw up!

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
How do BMWs and such illuminate red line? Is there no color differentiation? Are the hash markings just a different style?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts