ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Mufasa in Training
32,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks,

Just tossing this idea around in my head while the car's up for the winter. I've considered replacing my OEM head unit (double-din w/ internal 6-disc changer) from time to time, but definitely want something that would look as if it was made for my car. Seems that NA drivers have an easy time of it, but NB drivers, no so much. Would prefer something not so glitzy, obviously. I'll consider price once I see what my options are.

Any suggestions?

·
Mufasa in Training
32,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The problem is that most HU's that look good in a NA wouldn't necessarily look better on the NB's dash.

·
Supporting Member
322 Posts
AVH-P3100DVD
Might not quite be an OEM look, but I don't think it detracts from the overall look. Light adjustable, touch screen. I use it for ipod movies and music mainly. Picked it up on ebay for 180 shipped, which there were quite a few to choose from.

One drown in flash:

·
Mufasa in Training
32,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Not bad, but it's not quite what I had in mind.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think any dark single din unit looks ok and frees up some space for guages/controls..
I'd given thought to that, though I'd only put in the OEM cubby. My car's not heavily modified (click on the OEM Plus link in my sig), so having lots of extra gauges wouldn't do me much good (though the cubby would be a nice place to put a Scangauge...).

In short, I'm open to Single-DIN HU's as well, though I would be sad to lose my disc changer.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good looking out!

Keep it coming, folks!

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
I need to search again. I found one that has color adjustment. I remember it being an ok brand.

But also had high and low pass filters and quite a bit of adjustment. It was priced around 200 let me try to dig it up

·
^^Original User Name^^
1,910 Posts
Sorry for the late response. But yes, crutchfield sells it and I'm pretty sure they give you all the install stuff free also.

·
Mufasa in Training
32,388 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
what's your price range? There's always nakamichi
It'd be nice to keep under $200, but I have no real knowledge of what a decent HU goes for, really. My upgraded speakers were only really bought with the idea of being powered by the stock HU, so I'm not really sure what I'm going for. At this point, I'm just trying to see what's out there.

·
(⌐■_■)
2,233 Posts
the only nak would be the cd300 then. It trades the bells and whistles for sound quality; a very simple cd player

·
Registered
605 Posts
There's something waaaay wrong with that Nakamichi install. Way wrong.

For starters I can see that it's set up using a "dash kit" (note the bar above the HU and the non-OEM pocket below it)... this is unnecessary. In an NB just use the DIN sleeve that comes with the stereo and bend the tabs to lock it in. fill the other space with factory pocket B02A-66-9M0A (this was stock on '96.5-'97 and '99-'00). Do that and the HU should sit flush. No need for any sort of "install kit" other than the wiring harness.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts