ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been searching a bit but haven't found much.

I've a '91 Mariner that I'm bringing back from sitting in my garage for nearly a decade. Life gets in the way. Anyhow, I'd like to improve both the sound (a little bit) and the look of my interior by replacing the crappy factory head unit with something that looks stock-ish.

Mostly because I've had a few inexpensive headunits stolen from this car over the years, and I'd like to minimize the chance of a repeat. What's in there now is a stock unit out of another car I'd parted - it works, sorta..but if I'm going to dig into the dash to add Bluetooth to a headunit, might as well put something factory-look in there that will be better/newer.

Any suggestions of an OEM (from Mazda, Ford, whomever?) head unit that will hopefully fit a clean '91 tombstone without cutting said tombstone? I'm ok with something that fully fills the space rather than using the pocket. I don't particularly care about CD vs. cassette - I'll likely figure out a way to add Bluetooth.

Thanks!

·
Registered
46 Posts
If you wanted a very stock look with quite decent sound, I highly recommend getting one of the Panasonic-made units from I think 94-96ish NAs (the 1.5 DIN unit with the 2 small round knobs on bottom) and have Jeff Anderson (I believe he's still doing it?) do his magic on it. He does some rewiring of the amp and speaker outputs so you can have the headrest speakers correctly wired. Add some better speakers to the doors. And a small in-line amp if you really want. I did all those and am very very happy. I may even add a small powered sub. Sounds great and looks 100% stock. He can add aux line too, and from there you can go Bluetooth easily. And you can get either a cubby or blanking plate from Mazda to fill the gap. No cutting anything.

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts