ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those in Japan/Europe/Aisa, I need pictures of the OEM rear bumper foglight from inside the bumper showing how its attached or bolted. I`ve checked my USDM bumper and sure enough there`s a provision for the fog light but I have no idea where to cut. Also, does the foglight have a seperate switch or is it headlight activated?

·
Registered
379 Posts
I have a Miata, and when i bought the left reverse light was paint in red.

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
IMHO the EDM rear foglight for the Miata is kind of crudely tacked on. It's not well integrated like the Honda's.

If you were going to do EDM conversion you should start with the license plate surround first- I like the euro one!

·
Registered
153 Posts
the foglight has a separate switch, but it only comes on when the headlights are on. even with the switch on and the headlights are off the foglight will not activate.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
Foglighto not fitted in Japan. Hence us Brits in Roadsters with all kinds of attempts to get legal with a rear foglight; converting a reverse lamp (gets you past an inspection, but poor as a foglamp), converting the boot stop lamp (works ok), or various brick foglamps stuck into the bumper, hanging off the bumper, or stuck into the number plate surround (the worst solution). I hear, however on the grapevine, that there will soon be available a rear bumper lip spoiler in the style of the original part, but with fog lights neatly integrated into it, a la Honda S2000.

Now, of course, you do know which side you are meant to be fitting the foglamp onto? Did you pay full whack for a genuine mazda foglamp, because thats something like £50, as opposed to a similar item (different brackets) from the Motor factors for under £10....

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
your absolutely right, only the european models had rear bumper foglights and yes its an OEM item complete with bracket and wiring harness and not anywhere the price you mentioned. I just can`t understand why the light is mounted off center towards the left.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can someone fill me in on the function of a rear fog lamp?
Does it just come on when you're in reverse to provide aditional rear lighting?

·
Registered
379 Posts
The fog light like the name say is for driving on conditions with poor visibility, like fog, heavy rain.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you da man Greg!...fortunately the US bumper has a provision for the foglight, now if I can only get my sister to hand carry the euro rear finish panel hehe.

·
Esteemed Member
1,794 Posts
your absolutely right, only the european models had rear bumper foglights and yes its an OEM item complete with bracket and wiring harness and not anywhere the price you mentioned. I just can`t understand why the light is mounted off center towards the left.
Regulations; the foglight needs to be mounted towards the outside of the car; that depends if the car is LHD or RHD.

Absolutely invaluable if you are driving in really foggy conditions, or if a LOT of spray is thrown up on the highway. Having said that, in foggy old England, there are not a lot of times where I really need to use it.

I still like Honda's solution for the S2000 the best.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Regulations; the foglight needs to be mounted towards the outside of the car; that depends if the car is LHD or RHD.

Absolutely invaluable if you are driving in really foggy conditions, or if a LOT of spray is thrown up on the highway. Having said that, in foggy old England, there are not a lot of times where I really need to use it.

I still like Honda's solution for the S2000 the best.
I guess I still don't understand this, are you often driving backwards on the highway??
We are talking about a rear bumper fog light right?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
the rear foglight is an independent light (now usually built into the tail lights of most modern european cars, BMW MB, Audi etc..).

It is in red/amber color and is turned on to allow drivers behind you to see you during thick fog or heavy rain so as to prevent them from rear ending you....its illumination is alot brighter than the brake lights when depressed.

·
because **** you
6,665 Posts
the rear foglight is an independent light (now usually built into the tail lights of most modern european cars, BMW MB, Audi etc..).

It is in red/amber color and is turned on to allow drivers behind you to see you during thick fog or heavy rain so as to prevent them from rear ending you....its illumination is alot brighter than the brake lights when depressed.
I can vouch for this, I can find my friend on the freeway at night if we're seperated by traffic by his rear fog, it's unbelievably bright :shock: It doesn't just light up either, it lights up the road below it =D>

1 - 16 of 16 Posts