ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 20 of 240 Posts

·
Supporting Member
12,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I know it should be simple and straightforward, but right now I feel like a genius having successfully configured all the devices in my home wireless network. Some of it was relatively straightforward, but some of it required command line programming that was almost beyond my reach and all of it required an expert understanding of WiFi. Word to the wise: don't try to bridge two routers using WDS. It's worthless.

We've got your standard cable modem hooked up to your standard wireless router. But connected to that we've got a Macbook, iPhone, iPod Touch, Windows laptop and Motorola Droid X that all roam the house. Upstairs in the office we have a Windows PC and a Linux server connected to the network via a wifi extender. My printer is also wifi and we can print from either the Windows PC, the Windows laptop or the Macbook. The Linux server feeds my Squeezebox receiver, which allows me to listen to iTunes and XM Radio and my entire digital music library on my stereo system. This is easily expandable in the future to multi-zone listening in any room in the house. I control the Squeezebox receiver via my iPhone (iPeng app). Everything is locked down with good wireless security and firewalls and anti-virus.

The next thing to do is get everything on an automatic backup schedule (doing it manually now) and tweak a few things with the Linux server so a few more things will be automated.

Big thanks to all the computer nerds out there who taught me how to use tools like PuTTY and Net:UDAP and basic Linux commands.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
While I am not super knowledgeable about computers, I have build my last two. Current one is been doin me good for years but I think this summer is the time to build another. I also will probably switch to an AMD cpu instead of the current intel stuff. The i5s and i7s are too damn expensive.

Anyone here running on an SSD?

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Onboard!? Thats a serious bottleneck for all the other parts you are running. EVGA always makes good nvidia cards.

·
Rotarded
1,727 Posts
that sounds like a pretty sweet setup freedomgli. linux servers are the ****. I use my home server as my 24/7 torrenting box, and where I save all my movies, and I can access it with my xbox on the living room tv.

currently running an asus board and a amd phenom quad overclocked to around 3.1 ghz and has about 12 gigs of ram but still running onboard grafixs :( havent found a vid card i really like for it yet
woa twelve gigs of ram and no graphics card? geeez. if its an intel chipset, I'd really recommend an nvidia card, I got the 460gtx and I love it. You can probably get them for less than $120 these days.

Anyone here running on an SSD?
yeah, and they own. if you've got a fast processor and plenty of ram, the boot time is as fast as restoring a normal computer from sleep mode. I highly recommend the crucial RealSSD series of ssds. The intel ones are the worst, they are expensive and their response times are higher. The corsair ones are better, but the crucial ones have the best response time for the money.

RIGPIX

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I've been tweaking my setup at home for awhile. I've got an old IBM 3.0ghz P4 they were going to throw away at work, so I grabbed it, installed Ubuntu. bumped up the ram and put in a 1.5tb hard drive, now it is an SSH, FTP, SMB,AFP (file), Web, and DNS server. I've set the DNS as authoritave for all of the ad servers on the internet, so it blocks them. It also has a VPN which I use for my iPhone to block ads and access my files remotely.. If anybody wants to use the VPN to block ads shoot me a PM.

On the client side I've got a Macbook Pro which is my personal machine, booting OSX and Ubuntu, along with Windows 7, and whatever other OS's I'm playing with at the time in Virtualbox. The OSX portion automatically backups to the server via time machine..then there are three or four other windows (yuck) machines that are fairly standard.

Next time I upgrade the OS on the server I'm going to set it up to be the router, and just have my D-link router act as strictly an access point.. it would be nice to have wired and wireless hosts on different subnets. One day I'll step it up to a real cisco router.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Yeah, the next thing I need to do is setup VPN so I can access my network remotely. Just have to figure out how to do it.
I'm not sure what distro you are using, but here is a good write up on setting up a PPTP VPN. Not the most secure thing, but good enough, IMO for what we do at home. Also your iPhone has a built in client for it.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=826815

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
Over 25 years I've had a ton of PC (running os/windows) hardware.. and last year I decided to get a Mac, and my god they have come a long way. The days of Apple computers running a total of 6 available programs and running on processors out of a cracker jack box are gone... the line between PC/Mac is kind of blurred now anyway that Mac computers run on intel hardware, but I havent seen the build quality of Apple matched by any other manufacturer yet, regardless of OS.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Now that AMD and ATI are the same company, would it make sense to run a radeon card with an AMD CPU? All of the AMD compatible motherboards I look at seem to only support crossfire (ati's duel video card system). Does it really matter?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
yea macs suck
I like not getting viruses, thanks. Mine seems to be working just fine. The power surged once and fried the hard drive because our surge protector was bad, but that's no fault of theirs. We got it replaced and all of our music back with no hassle. I'd like to see a PC company replace $1,000 worth of iTunes music free of charge.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
this is what i'm currently running.

three workstations, 1 with dual monitors. i have various programs through out my systems, instead of consolidating them, i consolidated the space between them :woolery:
i'm also planning on setting up a render farm for my 3d stuff in the near future.

About the whole mac thing: Apple makes the highest quality machines on the market. If you want an amazing (and expensive) tower, get a mac pro. Apple's OS is easy and simple to use. If you want something that is easy to use (makes decisions for you) use their OS. If you want the BEST operating system, run Linux (Ubuntu). If you want the best computer, run Linux on your $14,000 + (solid state drives, 16 cores, 64 gigs of RAM) Mac Pro. The End

1 - 20 of 240 Posts