ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
SMALL UPDATE ON PAGE 2

instead of making several different threads on the progress of my cars build up i will regularly update my build through one thread. first of all many of you dont know me as i am new to miatas and have only had my first one since mid-august. i come from owning 240's and live in charlotte, nc.

when i got the car it had your basic greddy turbo kit with a starion fmic, RC 440cc injectors, Link ECU, and some sport max 002 wheels with an off brand lowering spring. it made 220hp during its tune on 15 psi. oh how i loved the feel of its handling but i felt it was still way slower than my 240 was, so here i am not a few months later rebuilding it with what i hope will put down close to 380-400whp on a fully built 1.6l motor. long shot...yes, but i believe it can be done with the right part combinations and a good tune of course.

This car will go untouched, from a built motor to paint and body work over the winter months.

Plans as of now are:

1.6l block bored .040 over, decked, balanced/lightened/knife edged crank, CP 8.5:1 pistons, Pauter/Carrillo Rods, billet oil pump gears, billet main caps, arp studs, clevite bearings, etc...

Head ported and polished, multi-angle valve job with toda/supertech valvetrain kit(1mm oversized valves), toda/hks stage 2 cams, cometic headgasket, arp headstuds, etc...

The exterior mods will be a surprise but pictures will show a sneak peak of whats going on.

here are a few pics of my progress since the cars was put down about 3 weeks ago. it is ready for paint and should be trailered off here within the next 2 or 3 weeks.

enjoy, and check back often as ill update with new part arrivals and progress as things start comming together.

Attachments

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know i know... some of you are wondering what im driving around now. so without further ado(thanks Bill for telling me how to spell that... i now feel 10% more stupid. j/k) here's the git-er'-done beater.... 1979 Datsun 620 pickup... 4 speed manual trans, slow as balls but fun as **** to drive into the ground!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
I love when people do builds like this and dont waste anytime making it happen. All the best man and ill def be checking this thread

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Awesome! All these incredible projects take so much time, money, and personal energy. I applaud the fact that you've decided to undertake such an exhaustive effort to restore/rebuild your car. A lot of people will question your desire to keep the B6 motor but I think when properly built and force fed your goal is attainable. Now if only you can find a drivetrain that will withstand such prodigious power and take all the hooliganism that it will surely be subject to.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome! All these incredible projects take so much time, money, and personal energy. I applaud the fact that you've decided to undertake such an exhaustive effort to restore/rebuild your car. A lot of people will question your desire to keep the B6 motor but I think when properly built and force fed your goal is attainable. Now if only you can find a drivetrain that will withstand such prodigious power and take all the hooliganism that it will surely be subject to.
drive train is already taken care of. im going to start with saying F you to the 5 speed tranny...

second im going to try the 6 speed with a kaaz or cusco lsd
i already have the flyinmiata happymeal clutch/flywheel package so ill stick with that.

if that tranny decideds to explode ill be upgrading to the FC TII tranny since i have one already.

Attachments

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
Looks like she's gonna be one hell of a job! Kudos to you man! Wish I had the money to do what you're doing right now.

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks like she's gonna be one hell of a job! Kudos to you man! Wish I had the money to do what you're doing right now.
i have an advantage to alot of people trying to build cars. im 18, still live with my parents :-( , i pay a credit card bill, phone bill, and insurance for two cars everymonth... oh yeah and i have a kick ass job making more money than my mom(37). hahaha Advance Auto Parts FTW!!! so i guess i have alot of time, and money to waste on nothing better than my little roadster. when the cars done, ill be looking for a house... i promise ill get my crap out of my parents.

btw... just because i live with them doesnt meen they help me with anything. they support my hobbies but not my funds. haha. i work 50-60+ hours on 3rd shift every week with no overtime. salary blows sometimes.

·
Registered
332 Posts
WAIT...that was your stock suspension on your driveway? it looks like a monster truck...LOL hmm.. good luck with your project..hope to see everything in soon

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WAIT...that was your stock suspension on your driveway? it looks like a monster truck...LOL hmm.. good luck with your project..hope to see everything in soon
THAT IS stock suspension in my driveway right now...on 13" wheels. i gave my aftermarket springs to a buddy of mine and took his stock stuff.

YES it is a monster truck HARRRR! i plan on going off roading. haha j/k there is NO weight in the car now also.... no interior or motor putting pressure on the coil spring.

sold my sportmax's to another friend.... new wheels and coilovers comming to a miata near you...that is soon after paint is finished. ;-)

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
btw... just because i live with them doesnt meen they help me with anything. they support my hobbies but not my funds. haha. i work 50-60+ hours on 3rd shift every week with no overtime. salary blows sometimes.
I feel for ya man! I was the same way with all of my bikes and vehicles. Everything I have owned since I was 19 though has been in my name through my credit. I'm not totally living on my own, as I'm with 2 housemates, but it beats coming home to your parents and feeling weird when you bring a girl back with ya :mrgreen:

·
Registered
592 Posts
heres a sneak peak of some of the parts and what the exterior is going to get painted...... :-D military green polyester with gold metallic anyone? muah hahahahahaha
Great write-up, great project.

I really like the green valve cover. Awesome color choice there. To take it a step further, a military green polyester Roadster :twisted:

Our motor builds seem to be very close. 1.6 overbored~ all the bling on the inside.

Unfortunately, mine is being done for me in Atl by Maloof Racing (the engine build) and R*Speed (the instal). I will still have the interior, suspension and paint/bodywork to do when I get home.

Again, great write up to an outstanding project. Best of luck.

Chris

·
CR.net Old Geezer
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
heres a sneak peak of some of the parts and what the exterior is going to get painted...... :-D military green polyester with gold metallic anyone? muah hahahahahaha
Great write-up, great project.

I really like the green valve cover. Awesome color choice there. To take it a step further, a military green polyester Roadster :twisted:

Our motor builds seem to be very close. 1.6 overbored~ all the bling on the inside.

Unfortunately, mine is being done for me in Atl by Maloof Racing (the engine build) and R*Speed (the instal). I will still have the interior, suspension and paint/bodywork to do when I get home.

Again, great write up to an outstanding project. Best of luck.

Chris
the machine work/bottom end assembly is getting done at mullis machine shop in south carolina. they build chevy small block v8's and such for drag cars out there in the boonies. ill be putting the head together with a buddy of mine (mechanic at the shop i get my parts from), and doing the install myself as i am a very hands on and mechanically inclined person.

yea, i was stuck between several color choices from the new thunderbird gold/tan color, military green, m-edition purple, or just plain white again..

im taking a chance and said "the hell with it...ill paint it military green, it should be bad ass when i get the CF top, hood, and trunk lid on."

·
CR.net Supporter
2,964 Posts
Looking good. I see you did all the work without me :!: :cry: Nothing else left to do now. BUT! I can come over and pick up that GV lip #-o =D>

·
Esteemed Member
2,930 Posts
cool man, keep the pics coming. I also agree thats a nice green for the valvecover.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts