1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1992 5speed
207,xxx
Stock engine
Car is using way to much oil may have a leak don't know where or what to replace first,car does not blow white or grey smoke. Does tick alot low oil
Ive been searching on m.net yet everybody is different on what can cause the problem
Any ideas
I am gonna be replacing
Pcv valve
Cas
Also take off a/c engine is covered in oil when I got it.
Thank you clubroadster for your help

·
Registered
524 Posts
engine is covered in oil when I got it.
Sounds like a clue, but at 207k miles it can be a number of things. Leaks, stuck or worn rings, worn valve guides, etc. Start by thoroughly cleaning the motor and checking for leaks.

Next, see if cleaning up the internal engine parts - and in particular the rings - helps. This can be done non-surgically by running a high detergent oil such as Shell Rotella T 5-W40. I've cut my own oil consumption by more than half with Rotella T changed every 5k miles over 40k miles. In fact, I've reduced it so much I drove coast to coast - nearly 4k miles - and the oil is still more than half-way up the dipstick.

·
Hide yo kids hide yo wife
6,286 Posts
How many theories do you need?

If motor is consuming oil:

A) it's burning the oil (various outlets - piston rings, valve seals, etc.)
B) it's leaking (various seals)

·
Supporting Mamber
3,672 Posts

Kevin doesn't need theories. He needs an elementary school education.

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like a clue, but at 207k miles it can be a number of things. Leaks, stuck or worn rings, worn valve guides, etc. Start by thoroughly cleaning the motor and checking for leaks.

Next, see if cleaning up the internal engine parts - and in particular the rings - helps. This can be done non-surgically by running a high detergent oil such as Shell Rotella T 5-W40. I've cut my own oil consumption by more than half with Rotella T changed every 5k miles over 40k miles. In fact, I've reduced it so much I drove coast to coast - nearly 4k miles - and the oil is still more than half-way up the dipstick.
Well start cleaning engine bay and spot the Leak also found the leak coming from back of the engine guessing cas also leaked from the pcv valve gonna get that done Tommorrow and oil change, see how long it's gonna last from there will into engine rebuild or another 1.6 swap. Gonna have to talk to alex for a spare engine!.

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Sounds like I need a new engine or just swap things out.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Front/rear main seals are probably leaking. But most of the oil is probably leaving via worn rings. How much oil is it actually using?

·
Registered
71 Posts
My 90' goes through about 1/2 quart per gas tank. Found a lot of it going out the PCV valve. Only seal that has not been replaced yet is the rear main and think some may be leaking out there. In my case I still have valve seals that need to be replaced then I will look at rings. My engine only has 255k and never had the head off once.

With a clean engine you can see where the leaks are coming from. Rear leak could be either CAS o-ring or Rear main or both. You can put your hand under the CAS and see if it is wet.

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Checked my oil yesterday and there was not even a drop in there luckily I have not drove the car for about a week and I go by the ticking and oil gauge so I need a new one cuz that says I'm full of oil..
Gonna say quart a week

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I checked last night with my flash night and there was oil there dripping and found some from the front ....lower down the cam gears..

·
Registered
144 Posts
Checked my oil yesterday and there was not even a drop in there luckily I have not drove the car for about a week and I go by the ticking and oil gauge so I need a new one cuz that says I'm full of oil..
Gonna say quart a week
Wait wat? Do you have an aftermarket guage or something? If your talking about oil pressure guage that came with the car, that has nothing to do with how much oil is in the motor.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Wait wat? Do you have an aftermarket guage or something? If your talking about oil pressure guage that came with the car, that has nothing to do with how much oil is in the motor.
Low oil pressure is a symptom of a low oil level.

·
Registered
144 Posts

·
Registered
716 Posts
Common misconception. You will run that motor out of oil before it says zero oil pressure
True, but early miatas have a live oil pressure gauge, not a dummy gauge like the later cars. Seeing a consistent drop in idle oil pressure (under similar conditions, say, every day at 9AM) is an indicator of low oil. You're not looking for 0, you're looking for something beyond normal; and at the rate he is loosing oil, the gauge would pick up on it. Saying what I said with no attached context, was a mistake on my part.

Checking the dipstick however, is a much better indicator.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Are you also loosing oil if you don't drive the car? Is there a pool of oil on the ground where the car sits at night? Check these to see if you have a really bad leak. Also from the cam gears like 2ndGearRubber said might be cam seals. You can pull the valve cover and visually check. If the timing belt is wet then good chance your cam gears and or front main is leaking.

By the way what oil are you running? Conventional or Synthetic?

·
Rezist Is Nature
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was running synthetic but switch hmm well might As well check it Tommorrow but for some reason I have no oil spill? And check the stick it was dry?.

·
~Foo's Best Friend~
517 Posts
Pull the spark plugs out and peep in the cylinders just to make sure youre not loosing any through the valve cover gasket.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts