ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any experiences with an aftermarker oil cooler set up? Pros or cons to having one (other than the obvious pros for having one)?

I have been thinking of adding one for years now, but never bit the bullet. Looking at HKS, Tuckin, or Sard.

·
Registered
692 Posts
nice oil cooler, but since our theme is jdm, heres the jdm way to mount it.... they call it"yankee style"

AWESOME PIC =D>

·
Supporting Member
2,723 Posts
The HKS/Greddy/Tuckin, etc oil coolers are $$$$$

But what I like about the HKS thermostatic sandwich adapter (over the Mocal which everybody uses), is that they provide bungs for temperature probes. On the one I have they give you 2 probe bungs, for temp & pressure. Perfect for gauge freaks!

I have a used HKS setup off of a Nissan.... yet uninstalled, like many of my parts- I'm pathetic.

·
Registered
239 Posts
nice oil cooler, but since our theme is jdm, heres the jdm way to mount it.... they call it"yankee style"

AWESOME PIC =D>
actually, its called "bosozuko" or "bozo" style. iirc "boso" means car/vehicle and "zuko" means gang/group. a lot of the more radical bozo cars are linked with the yakuza. i've read that they mod their cars like that to get as close to breaking the law as possible and getting away with it.

i don't think there are any bad effects to installing an oil cooler, other than its more weight... but the benefits are greater imo.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Now Peter if you owned a 99 or newer I wood recommen you get the Thompson relocator the filter body acts as a oil cooler and since its mounted in the front of the engine bay and the base is made of solid alum . I wood think it helps to lower the oil temp , but since you cling to the old ways and own an M1 they don't make a kit for the model , tho I think they are going to but who knows how soon .
As to the cooler you have shown I do like it and it will look trick on Da potato .

·
4,436 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bosokuku guys out in Japan are very much not what you think - most of these wacky setups you see in that picture are usually faux oil coolers for looks (musc like all the boldish body cladding, etc) and has to do with the old 70's club racers days where they were literaslly stuck on the front of a car like this. As my freind Makoto mentioned to me long ago: "Oh!! These are racer's set up! 70's era, EVERYBODY put these style oil cooler in front of their 4 door cars. Most of them are fake. The oil hoses are put into empty grill and lined to nowhere!" #-o

But I am looking for performance and I know that my oil temps creep only a bit on the track.

Some cons I had pondered:

1) Cold days - what to expect?

2) Wanting to mount it up front in front of radiator - anyone experience any rad or problems with this being so low? A position like this:

3) Leakage - Do Look for a unit that uses all aluminum aeroquip connectiors and SS lines?

I am looking for a simple cooler and not an oil relocator. Thanks for the feeback.

·
Registered
38 Posts
i don't think there are any bad effects to installing an oil cooler, other than its more weight... but the benefits are greater imo.
How about the time it takes to heat ur oil up to operating temps? Depending on weather and how your driving, it might not even heat up to proper temps. Plus theres Murphy's law, more places for oil leaks ect. I would defiantely have a thermo switch in there, and as long as you do it would be fine.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
It's actually Bosozoku Bo=violent So=running Zoku=Tribe.

Yankee style works as well. Yankee (more accurately Romanized Yankii) is what you'd call young delinquints in Japan. So both terms are correct and can be used interchangibly in this context.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
I never stop finding Japanese people hilarious. Oh Japan, what will you do wrong next?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts