ClubRoadster.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 and I'm about to install a turbo, so I want to add an oil cooler first. Does anyone run an after market cooler. If so which one and does it make a difference?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
I've got the FM kit which comes with a Setrab 13 row. You can easily piece together the package if you know what you are looking for for maybe $50-75 less. I'm not FI but I picked it up out of curiosity and peace of mind while tracking. I can say that during hot track days the oil pressure gauge doesn't seem to read as low by the afternoon than it did prior to install. I'm sure it works but to what extent I can't accurately measure without an oil temp gauge and before/after install notes.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was thinking of going with FM but it's a little pricey. I don't have an oil temp gauge either but plan on buying one. Living in Phoenix, it gets a little hot so after some hard driving the oil pressure drops and I start to get that damn ticking. so just to be safe I'm going to add a cooler. Thank you for the input.

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
No prob. I can definitely recommend the Setrab coolers though. They are beautiful. Racerparts Wholesale I think has them for decent prices.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I had a FM on my NB turbo, and it did make a small, but hardly earth shattering difference, oil still get hot especially on a humid day. If I had run the full shroud as I intended before the motor blew I may have dropped my temps a bit more.

Maruha now offers a water cooled oil cooler that looks the tits, unfortunately, its price also reflects that....

http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/parts/heatexchanger.htm

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a FM on my NB turbo, and it did make a small, but hardly earth shattering difference, oil still get hot especially on a humid day. If I had run the full shroud as I intended before the motor blew I may have dropped my temps a bit more.

Maruha now offers a water cooled oil cooler that looks the tits, unfortunately, its price also reflects that....

http://www.maruhamotors.co.jp/parts/heatexchanger.htm

What do you mean by "run the full shroud". did you have part of it covered up or do you mean ducted in.

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
just a thought but i have a mishimoto radiator with built in oil cooler/ trans cooler. would this be as efficient as a standalone water to oil cooler or even air to oil cooler?

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Only problem I see is wouldn't you have a hard time getting your coolant levels to drop? Oil retains heat longer than water/coolant, right? Cool down sessions might be prolonged.

I imagine you could make a water to oil cooler out of a a2w intercooler if you were crafty enough. Good way to save a cool $1,100.

J-Rad- they still make that radiator? Is it FM's old setup?

·
Supporting Member #5522
3,190 Posts
Only problem I see is wouldn't you have a hard time getting your coolant levels to drop? Oil retains heat longer than water/coolant, right? Cool down sessions might be prolonged.

I imagine you could make a water to oil cooler out of a a2w intercooler if you were crafty enough. Good way to save a cool $1,100.

J-Rad- they still make that radiator? Is it FM's old setup?
humm i did not think about that way. i don't know if the still make it or not, i bought it off slutz4 when he parted out his car. it looks just like the stock auto radiator.

here is a pic of it

·
brontosaurus
7,236 Posts
Don't take my word on it. That's why I put the question mark on it. I wouldn't worry about it. It should be much better than oem. I was just curious about that mahura kit. Seems odd to run coolant through the hot oil. Who knows though, maybe they both shed heat equally as fast. It's just my assumption that the oil would retain heat longer.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What do you mean by "run the full shroud". did you have part of it covered up or do you mean ducted in.
Difficult to explain it without showing you the CAD model.

FM originally recommend that we cut a hole under the oil cooler in the undertray to take in some of the air there, it was never too effective for me.

Essentially I designed a full shroud to go over the front of the oil cooler, then an opening, a sort of 'scoop' that would take in the air from under the car from the OEM NB front skirt's little rise in the middle of the bottom part that would be diverted to the oil cooler assembly. I also had two tubes on the shroud itself that would be connected to the hoses already connected to the fog light holes in the bumper. Effectively sealing the air coming in to ensure they all flow through the cooler.

Well, never finished the design before my motor blew up, it was only partially completed. :cry2:

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can see what your saying, kind of like a ram air effect. I guess it would be hard to get tons of air to the cooler with the undertray on. I think I will order one up anyways. I sure having something better then nothing in the hot ass weather we have here.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts