Who makes it?

Where is your kit located? Firewall, fender, etc

How do you like it?

Thanks all

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So Im am guessing either 31 people 1. have really flexable arms 2. take their car to a shop and get the oil done, or 3. its a lot easier to get to the oil filter on the NA.

No one has an oil filter relocator?

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I've got the Moss Motors kit. Puts the filter on the firewall next to the wiper motor.

It's been on my old car and the new one for 10 years now. No problems with any leaks or anything else.

Makes oil changes a snap. I would put it on any roadster I owned.

·
Registered
587 Posts
i have oil cooler and relocator, its at bumper near the left tow hook. only problem is it kinda overcools for daily driving on the track its awesome though. I've been meaning to put in an oil thermostat but i've been getting lazy

simon

·
Registered
490 Posts
I picked up the Moss kit with the cooler but I haven't installed it yet. Most likely I'll put the filter up on the firewall near the ABS pump. I got the cooler version for track days and I'm adding a Mocal thermostat for the same reason's Simon stated.

Initially I'm happy with the kit for the price and I haven't read of people having too many problems. I've seen some other kits on ebay which are some assembly required and look equally as nice but if you've never assembled couplings on braided hose you may want to stick with the Moss kit.

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I was planning on getting the moss kit as well. have heard a few complaints of leaks but couldnt remember what kit they were using, so thought I would check what the consensus was on here

·
Registered
490 Posts
I've heard about some leaks too. One was from using some off brand filter. The OEM Mazda filter seems to thread on perfectly. If you want to research the hoses they are Aeroquip FC332 socketless and the fittings are also Aeroquip. Not sure if they are as great as braided SS with compression fittings but cost effective and still plenty strong to handle our oil pressures.

One thing I'm still looking to change on mine is possibly adding a 45 or 90deg fitting going into the cooler to reduce stress on the hose.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i have oil cooler and relocator, its at bumper near the left tow hook. only problem is it kinda overcools for daily driving on the track its awesome though. I've been meaning to put in an oil thermostat but i've been getting lazy

simon
Have you thought about fabbing up (or getting fabbed) a sheet of thin metal or something to block the airflow for daily driving than taking that off for the track? Just a thought...

-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Sorry, i didn't see the thread. :)

I have a CoolTek and a I think it's Moss kit, with cooler.

The Cooltek was a pain. I couldn't get it to mount with hood clearance on the firewall, I had to relocate it to the Washer bottle bracket and buy 2 45* angle brass fittings.

When i got to Thunderhill in NorCal, it had leaked on me. I'm sure it's no fault of the piece, but I pulled it off then, and happened to get a good deal on the Moss piece, which I haven't made time to install in almost a year now.

My only complaint with the cooltec was the angle of the reloc bracket setup, and having to lose the washer bottle but quality-wise it looked good and if it's a fairweather car for you, hell it's no big loss. :)

·
Mufasa in Training
33,404 Posts
I'd look at the Thompson. Pretty quality piece. Also, take a quick search at Miata.net (much bigger user base, so way more opinions over much longer time).

·
Brah.
7,484 Posts
i can get my hand under the intake manifoild and take the oilfilter off and replace it with no trouble...so i dont see the need for one really. do alot of people have trouble getting to it?

·
Mufasa in Training
33,404 Posts
Also, I'd consider removing the intake manifold brace...makes getting to the filter MUCH easier (it's only 4 bolts) and really does away with the necessity for a OFRK.

·
CR.net Supporter
287 Posts
I did that for years...then I installed the relocation kit and found out that it was now a very simple, very CLEAN filter change.

No more oil running down the block and dripping out (no matter how many paper towels and/or disposable diapers you put under the filter).

No more scarred arms from reaching around the manifold and by the a/c lines.

NO reason to remove the undertray to clean up all the mess when you drop the oil filter before you pull it out.

No reason to pull the wheel to go at the filter that way either (much easier than from above, but still a pain).

·
Whiskey makes me Frisky
4,545 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cant, go through the fender on the NB, well not that I have found anyway.

Thanks for the input guys, will deffenetly check out the thompson kit, bit more then the moss kit, but if the quality is there so-be-it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I also have a difficult time with oil changes, fitting my arm in there's no easy way to reach it on the NB. I will be going w/ the Thompson kit as soon they are back in stock. I've always wanted an easy solution for oil pressure and temp sensors... and his kit is beautiful! Glad they are back in production.

·
Registered
489 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
228 Posts
Next year (no money now) I will be doing a set up like that on a NA.

I have the Mazda airdam the directs air to the front brakes and will chanel some of that flow to the oil cooler that will be mounted between the bumper and the wheel well . The exact spot is not known I will have to get the car up on a lift to check clearences and airflow .

1 - 20 of 29 Posts