ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how hard/bad is it to change the oil pan gasket. i noticed that i have a small leak in the front. what else should change/check while in there? #-o

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Do you have to pull the engine completely out or can you unbolt the mounts and lift the engine enough to get the pan off?

·
Registered
563 Posts
With the amount of work that you would have to do (Pulling harness, so you dont stretch/break any wires. Disconnecting the coolant hoses and disconnecting drive shaft.) to lift the motor up a little, you might as well pull the motor.

You would have to pick up the motor enough to clear the oil pickup (its kinda slotted into the oil pan and angled funny) which hangs down about 5-6 inches from the bottom of the motor. At this point the motor is pretty much out!!!

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how bad to pull the sub frame?

·
Registered
563 Posts
how bad to pull the sub frame?
The motor is mounted to the subframe. Even if you dropped the subframe you would still need to pull the motor off it. You would have just wasted a lot of time and effort to jack the car 3 ft off the ground in order to take out a bunch more bolts you didn't need to take out.

·
CR.net Supporter
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a lift at my disposale so it wouldn't be that bad

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
you'll need to support the engine w/a crane, disconnect the control arms, and shocks, maybe the tie rid ends,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts