ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you certainly know, the turbo will burn oil passed by the seals due to excessive oil feed flow. To alleviate this issue, builders will install restriction fittings inline with the turbo oil feed to bring the supply flow down, reducing pressure in the journal bearing and against the seals. I can not seem to locate any good information on the recommended restriction size needed to properly feed a MazdaSpeed Miata turbo. I'm currently running a restricted fitting advertised as being appropriate for a stock WRX turbo; and to be honest with the lack of info, I guessed this was an appropriate option.

Back ground: I have a 2004 MSM turbo setup on a 90,000 mile 1996 engine that was in pristine condition. The turbo has been freshly rebuilt by the previous owner (looked and felt like a good job done), there is no shaft play or any abnormal compressor shaft feeling. However I am burning oil suddenly after 700 miles of operation and am curious if my flow into the turbo is too great. There is oil residue on the inside of the outlet flange for the compressor as well.

Turbo info:
Spec: VJ35 0411
S/N: RHF5 04035A
Parts no: BP8J

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
You are the only person I know of doing this on the msm turbo. I'd take it out. You may well have starved the bearing and ruined a seal.

Signed - guy who used to design temp sensors embedded into journal bearings.

Sent from my BLU DASH X using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts