ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think i have oil starvation issues under sustained heavy braking(140- 20kmhr) & this has just begun to occur. Could be that the higher ambient temperatures and increased grip means higher braking "g" forces.
i have a low pressure alarm set at 10lbs and the system samples at 10hz.
With the stock guages, i would never have found this.

Does anyone make an oil pan baffle for the 1.8? or heard of similar experiences?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To ensure proper oil supply i installed a moroso oil accumulator, here are the pics.

Still need to run brake tests to be sure the problem is solved.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
thats wild. be sure to keep us posted on your results = )

i was unaware of oil starvation with g force braking, how were you able to determine your car was starved for oil when you braking ?

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts
Pretty neat so far!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the traces on thiese graphs. I have a datalogger on board & thats my dash in the avatar, Configurable alarms mean i can set when the idiot lights come on, for 2 temps & 2 pressures, high & low alarms. For example i set the coolant temp low alarm @ 60 degrees celcius, high alarm @ 120. Car normally never crosses 110deg.

I will run some brake tests tomorrow & post the traces.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well i reasoned that, to help me become a better auto-x'er, i needed to know what was happening with the car, the stock oil pressure guage is a "dummy" anyways!
I'd need about 6 different guages to replace just the one unit & i did not want to give up my eyeball vents.

I had to drill a 2" hole in the stock dash panel & modify the circuit board so i could pass the harness thru.

At the track all i rely on are the shift lights & the idiot lights. First green light comes on @ 3500, last red light comes on at 6500, beyond 6500, they all flash telling you to shift. Downloads take less than a minute, and the software is easy to learn.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are the traces from a brake tests i performed today. Pressure never fell below 25 psi. I think it's problem solved.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
Well congratulations on fixing your problem. I wish i had the money and know-how (and need) to get a system like that. I also like your solution for mounting the display.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah, thanks man. i'm thinking of a CF shroud, all i need is the stock fuel guage, turm signals, CEL & high beam light.

here is what it looks like at night.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Doesn't the MyChron 3's have a fuel level capability or is it just the MXL series?

I know the MXL's have them because all the MX5 cup cars run the MXL and it's nice to have that fuel readout in percentage so you have a good idea of much fuel is in the car.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yah the mxl's hook up to the oem ecm and communicate using a can protocol. Which means it displays the same data that the ecm receives from the stock sensors & senders. This means a lot more channels are available. As to the accuracy of the stock sensors in the NC, i cannot comment, i have no experience with that car.

Nobody has figured out how to configure the NB fuel sender, so that the mychron3 can read it's signal, but it's being worked on. I got a spare channel #4 that will be used once it is sorted out.

Now that i have the systems working i realise the need for about another 12 channels. LOL, and that gets expensive, the mxl pista is $ 2000, mxl pro is $3000, all said and done, you need sensors & potentiometers & patch cables.

I love this system, would not go back to the analog dash ever.

·
Registered
490 Posts
How do you have the speed sensor hooked up? With magnets on the driveshaft or is it possible to tap into the wheel sensors from the ABS system?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you have a few choices, magnets on the driveshaft, or 1/2 shaft stubs on the diff, the tone ring on the transmission output shaft. i would place abs sensor tone ring last as you will get individual wheel speed that way.

the more channels available the more data you can collect

here is a minimum basic list that you must have if you race your car.
RPM
Vehicle speed
Oil pressure
Coolant temp
Oil temp
Batt voltage
Lap times
Split times

then options would include
lateral & longitudinal acceleration=2 channels
4x individual wheel speed sensors= 4 channels
3x infra red temp sensors per corner= 12 channels
gear
throttle position
brake pressure front
brake pressure rear
steering angle
boost ( if you got it)
suspension travel= 4 channels
trans temp
diff temp.
air speed= ? channels, depends on aero study.
Power steering pressure
fuel pressure
A/F mixture
tyre pressure= 4 channels
The list can get extensive, but everything can be measured

most pro race teams run dual sensors so if 1 system fails there is a 2nd backup system available.

·
BACK BY POPULAR DEMAND
5,096 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I love this system, would not go back to the analog dash ever.

Back in my day we didn't have a dash at all, and we liked it!
Lol, like they say, ignorance is bliss. If i did not have the datalogger i would not know what the car is doing. It's a huge benefit having all this data, it helps one verify that improvements have actually been made. Like acceleration/ deceleration & laterl g.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How do you have the speed sensor hooked up? With magnets on the driveshaft or is it possible to tap into the wheel sensors from the ABS system?
I just changed the way i set up my wheel speed sensor. I previously had it mounted to the driers side 1/2 shaft, which worked great so long as you did not compress the suspension too much. I would find drop offs in the speed signal & decided to relocate them.

I fabbed up 2 aluminum brackets for the magnets & it's pretty simple. What is important to note a minimum 10 mm air gap between the magnets & the sensor.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts