ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I want to install a V brace or better a triangular brace on my car. But my car has ABS, and on Metro Motorsports website, it states that the tri brace won't fit ABS car, but the V brace fits all. How is that? Another question is that what if I notch a little bit of material off the bottom of the tri brace, would it fit then? Can any with that brace, or the V brace comment on this? Maybe I should just call up Metro. Thanks, guys. Let me know.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
I have the Okuyama Triangle, next time im at the local meeting i will park by an ABS car, 93LE or Merlot and all the other "M" edtions had ABS right?

Honestly, there is alot of room in there, even with the brace, so i dont see why it wont fit, but let me check first before you drop mad loot on it. :wink:

PhatMiata

Attachments

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, Phat. What I don't get is that why would the V brace fit and not the tri brace. Because from what I see, it's the bar on the passenger side that would probably hit the ABS lines. And the v brace and tri brace have the same shape.

·
CR.net Supporter
555 Posts
When I first began stocking Okuyama products we tried to install a triangle brace on a 93LE. It would not clear two ABS hard lines leading to the front brakes. Instead of F.ing up the brace's finish we stopped. You can fit it if you want to bend the lines, or trim off some brace material. Since the price is high I didn't think customers wanted to hack up their investment. The last thing I want is to refund a brace that's torn to hell, so I covered myself. Both braces are tough enough to install without ABS. After all, they're made for RHD models. But..they are top notch items.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
How much notching off material is required to clear the ABS lines? If it's just a little, I don't mind. I am more comfortable doing that than bending my ABS lines. Unless there is a good way to bend it without messing up the lines.

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
For those w/o ABS, here's a pic from above and a pic from the front. Couldn't I just snip the brake lines, flare the end I snipped, bend my own new short lines, and then join the old and new with a union (no compression fittings!!)?

Seems that maybe from the factory they were using whatever length they had, and made some weird bends at the end to use the rest of the line up (think a loop in some line you've seen under the car on some cars)

Does anyone know if the length of line matters with ABS? I'm afraid to even bleed the brakes myself b/c of the ABS. I'm not sure if I need to take it to the dealer to have them do it. That's how it is on my 01 Neon, the ABS cars bleed/flush routine involves an OBDII dealer device I guess. :? But I think if I don't get any air in the system, I'd be fine--the system wouldn't be able to tell the difference between old/new if it didn't have air in there :lol:

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
The bar is a bit of a pain in the ass to fit on, but it fit once you get it set just right. I had to bend the lines up on the firewall to get it to fit flush, but it was not a big deal to me. For the anal retentive it might be a nightmare. But you can definatly fit them (with some fine tuning on non-ABS) as for ABS equipped, i honestly think you can just bend some of the lines out of the way.

I will go out to the garage and take some pics so you can see where your ABS lines might be compared to the location of the bar.

PhatMiata

·
Registered
534 Posts
I have an AutoExe 3point bar and I had to bend the lines a bit on the firewall where it attaches. I have no idea about abs, and I have an NB.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
okay, here are some old pics, and some NEW pics (towards the bottom) hopefully those of you with ABS can see if this may or may not interfear with your setup. With my car (non-ABS) it was basically bending the brake lines down, in several places, then fiting the bar, bolting the sides, marking my drill holes for the firewall bracket, and then remove, drill, reinstall, rebolt, and done!!! :mrgreen:

CLicky for more pics
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/133278/5

PhatMiata

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
THANK YOU Phatmiata! I totally didn't know there was a support brace that came with it, I was wondering how it was bracing against the firewall lol. Duh.

The only request I have is: can you do a "top" shot, like you did for the other side, the pillowball mount pic? That would help 10x more. :) And where did you get the CF intake tube? looks sick!

EDITl Scrolled thru, found CF intake. #-o

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
And where did you get the CF intake tube? looks sick!
Yeah thanks, its seriously lightweight, like my keys weight more. :shock: Anyhow, i got that a few years ago from Good-Win-Racing, but i checked his site and dont see it anymore?

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Parts/Miata/Intakes/MonsterFlow.html

I guess that makes my intake USDM Rare?
Can anyone help XCLR8TN find the Carbon Fiber MonsterFlow intake kit?

Ill take more pics later, getting late now, and that car domain page loads slow as hell.

PhatMiata

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
The problem would be solved if they (or someone) made a version for LHD cars, and it would also give the benefit of the brake stopper or clutch stopper or whatever it is that the original shores up on a RHD cars but is wasted on ours.

·
Banned
8,938 Posts
The problem would be solved if they (or someone) made a version for LHD cars, and it would also give the benefit of the brake stopper or clutch stopper or whatever it is that the original shores up on a RHD cars but is wasted on ours.
Im sure the brake stopper is a nice touch, but im sure you would be replacing parts sooner as that brake stopper puts more stress on the master cylinder or at least that is what i have heard? Maybe some members in the UK with these braces could answer that myth/fact better though?

UPDATED: Info on the CarBon Fiber MonsterFlow Intake
http://clubroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=45777

PhatMiata

·
Speed Racer
4,690 Posts
Interesting. All the confusion from me is because I have a 1.6L! I actually wrote Goodwin.

"Sorry, there has never been a MonsterFlow for 90-93 Miata.

You must have seen the carbon for 94-97 which was discontinued.

Brian Goodwin
Good-Win Racing
www.good-win-racing.com"

So... I suck at life. Thanks for the links tho! 1.8 > 1.6 :(

1 - 20 of 21 Posts