ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever run turbo 2 rx-7 front calipers on there miata. I just got a set of rebuilt 4 piston calipers from a turbo 2 rx-7 and i want to run them on my miata but not sure what rotors i would need and if i need any other parts to make them work properly. So my ? is has any one done the brake setup yet.

·
CR.net Supporter
1,390 Posts
there is a guy in japan who did it. had to cut one of the ears off the caliper, fab custom brackets, run spacers. He used the front rotors from the Sport package.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so it sounds like a pain in the a$$ to do i was just wondering cause i picked up both calipers for $35 each from a local supplier. so i bought thinking i shouldnt be that much of a pain oh well looks like i have my work cut out for me.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have the skill as well as the shop to do it but i would've loved to take the lazy way out this time and have some on point me in the direction as to were i can buy everything but oh well time to bust out the plasma cutter and grinder.

·
Finger lickin' good...
6,605 Posts
pm leatherface24 (Jared) on here. He's done/doing the same thing as you.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Few guys in Hong Kong had theirs done, sounds simple enough. But I opted for Good Win BBK myself!

- FD or FC calipers will work, same size. FD would have better appearance wise.
- Stock Brakes booster will work nicely with them, no need to use NB RS2 booster. But some has opted for them as they are about 1 inch longer.
- You need fab custom brackets for them.
- FC disc could be used, but need to redrill a set of PCD 4x 100 holes. Some has used BMW E36 front disc. Usually you are in the diameter of 270-280mm disc size.

I would suggest to get calipers and disc first. Have your fab shop measure them with your front hups.

Have fun!!!

·
Registered
902 Posts
I missed this thread and that is what we are planning on doing. Since the IRTB BP Miata should be about 200HP to the crank within the next 6 months we will need larger brakes up front and I picked up a FC 2nd gen RX-7 a couple of months back.Taka @ A-RF in Japan has done it and sells the conversion kit. The track event in Gainesville FL. really showed where the larger front brakes would help.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
302 Posts
Jimmy, if you start marketing a kit be sure to post up about it. I know there are a lot of us that would be interested since we might already have the calipers laying around.

·
Registered
569 Posts
200 horsepower and you need Rx-7 brakes? I would think for that much all you would need is a full 1.8 upgrade (150 bucks).

·
Registered
902 Posts
I will post up the work because it will be a cheaper alternative to what is out there. Taka @ A-RF in Japan has the custom bracket for the FC calipers to bolt onto a miata and I'll see if I can get some from him. Even autocrossing a 130-150 RWHP the Brakes aren't that great. I know that Freedomgli almost put me through the windshield at MATG but the brakes should be improved. The IRTB BP Miata will eventually have 220 RWHP plus when we get serious (Budget) about the Time Attack events. And those close to us know that we can achieve over 300 RWHP in the 13B Rotary IRTB engine Naturally Aspirated that we hope to put in our other Miata. We hope to complete that someday. Basically the larger brakes will really be needed so that we can go deep into the corner since a IRTB car can accelerate fast from a dead stop. I am already using the 1.8L Brakes.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jimmy if you can get a set of those brakets for the fc calipers let me know cause i already have the caliper and rotors. All I need is to either fab up some brackets or buy some which i would much rather do seeing is hose i dont have time with a new son and all.

·
Registered
902 Posts
mrolo74-I will try to get a hold of Taka @ A-RF tonight and see if I can get just the brackets. If not we will make some.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool thanks Jimmy I'll be calling you at some point this week im going to need your help on an itb setup for a motor im building.

·
Registered
902 Posts
That's where I definately can help. At the same time we can talk brakes.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
902 Posts
I will be getting the FC coversion hardware from A-RF and we hope to have them installed by the end of summer.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hey Jimmy when do you think you will be getting them in cause if its not to long or to much money maybe ill just have you order me a set as well then i wouldnt have to make them like we talked about. Any how keep me informed.

·
Registered
902 Posts
I talked to Taka @ A-RF this morning 6:00 EST and I wired money directly into his account and he will send it to my address in Japan and I will have it sent to me and I should have it within 2 weeks and installed shortly after that. It is the last set that he has and he makes them 5 at a time. I am also going to get his slotted rotors since I want to support him as much as possible. BTW what do Big brake kits go for $$$ that is out there? We should be cheaper but was curious and according to him which I suspected the FC brakes has plenty stopping power for a lightweight Miata.

Jimmy
FujiRacing

1 - 20 of 33 Posts