ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2006 was a year of "firsts" for me in a number of ways. Many of those ways complicated my tax situation more than I thought. So I think I overestimated the amount of deductions I'd be able to take and thus didn't pay as much taxes as I should have over the course of the year. I thought I'd be even - so I wouldnt have much taxes due or much of a tax refund. Boy, looks like I was wrong.

I think I'll be going to an accountant, but it looks like I'll due for another ~$2400 in federal taxes. :(

I suppose, on the one hand, this is good in that I didn't "loan" money to the government.

But now I say byebye to all the toys I thought I had coming.... (plus my bank account is going to take a little hit too).

Anyone else rush to check out their tax situations?

·
Registered
420 Posts
After I had to pay more then what you had to. I decided that after that I would rather 'loan' the government my money.

What is bad is my property taxes got raised 19%. And I don't think I loaned Uncle Sam enough money this year..

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
You might also owe penalties in addition to your tax liability for failure to have sufficient funds deducted regularly from your paycheck. I generally try to keep my payroll withholdings right at the break even point so I neither owe money nor receive a refund. However, sometimes your income situation changes and you can't maneuver quickly enough to minimize the tax implications.

·
Registered
402 Posts
You might also owe penalties in addition to your tax liability for failure to have sufficient funds deducted regularly from your paycheck. I generally try to keep my payroll withholdings right at the break even point so I neither owe money nor receive a refund. However, sometimes your income situation changes and you can't maneuver quickly enough to minimize the tax implications.
If the penalties are less than about 10% of the money you owe, you're better off keeping it. I know people who underwithhold the tune of 10k+ per year, with the idea that that's just another $1k in their pocket instead of the Government's pocket.

·
bad mother f......
3,173 Posts
I get several $k back every year. I dont mind "giving the government a loan" as long as I dont have to pay come tax time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts