ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive searched considerably and found many conflicting answers, including the fact that the torsen differs from other LSDs.

When changing the diff oil, rear in the air, oil drained, i spun on wheel. The wheel spun freely, and the other wheel was idle. I went under and spun the drive shaft. Both wheelz spun back ward. My friend then took a hold of one of the wheels as i spun it (still reverse not forward). The wheel gave him a bit of feed back, but he was able to hold it as the other wheel spun backward.

So, test of wits, LSD or not? Im conracting mazda as well to get the final word.

we did check the fill plug too, no flashlight so no good.

·
Registered
208 Posts
sounds open to me if it was lsd the other wheel would be spinning

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sounds open to me if it was lsd the other wheel would be spinning[/QUOTEm

Perhaps. Although i juzt read a really detailed write up about miata rear diffs. It stated with the rear up and drivetrain in neutral, that when you spin one wheel and the other goes in reverse, that it is open...i wonder if having no fluid may affect this. Also, it said with an lsd the other would spin the same way or would be idle.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Go out and do some drifting one to the left and one to the right let us no what
happens

i bet the one to the right will spin one wheel

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
happens

Aye. I just contacted mazda and they said because its a touring package it doesnthave the torsen limited slip. Bummer..

·
Registered
747 Posts
Just throw an OBX lsd in your open housing. Problem solved.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
happens

Nope. I have an open but lay down 2 everytime.

OP do you have power windows?

·
Official Armchair Racer
14,399 Posts
sounds open to me if it was lsd the other wheel would be spinning
False.

so only cars with power windows have lsd .?
Nope. But it's a good indication. The heavier equipped Miatas eventually just came with a Torsen standard. With the exception being a few random models like the STO and of course automatics.

·
Accepting donations.
3,366 Posts
Not completely true but in the NAs the power package had LSD.

Edit: Norman said it better

·
Registered
134 Posts
iv hade 5 miatas over the last couple of years, and daily drift my last car with a torsen, i did the exact same test as you when i had my car up and thought it was a open. only owning torsen and viscus lsd before hand. my curent car is an open,(crap) if you get on wheel on the dirt and one on the pavment, and open will spin the **** out of the dirt. a torsen will lock and get you going. if you have an open, licnon lock it and enjoy full traction(or lack of it) all the time, its cheap and fun!

·
Registered
164 Posts
False.

Nope. But it's a good indication. The heavier equipped Miatas eventually just came with a Torsen standard. With the exception being a few random models like the STO and of course automatics.

I think mine is a unique setup. 94, has every electric option including power mirrors etc, however it came factory with Torsen. I have the window sticker, the original owner just didn't want to add power windows but they added everything else.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts