ClubRoadster.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at getting a kirkey seat or possibly a corbeau. Ive sat in a Kirkey before and it felt great, just wanting anyones opinion on either a Kirkey or Corbeau Forza. This isnt my daily, just my backroad and autocross car. Also how comfortable is a Forza, for someone with a 36-38 inch waist

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
The only complaints I've heard about the Forza is that it's hard to get a lot of headroom if you insist on using the stock sliders. Do you plan on fix-mounting the seat?

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
prolly whatever is easier, I havent ruled out either option, if I get the kirkey itll prolly be in a fixed position

·
Supporting Member
12,259 Posts
Not all Kirkey seats are made the same. There are many different models so be sure to sit in the model you want before you buy. I tried the intermediate upright seat but I found the lateral torso supports were too large and too high up which caused my elbows to get tangled up on them. For a while many Spec Miata racers were using the economy or intermediate road racing seat as opposed to the one specifically geared towards Spec Miata. I don't remember why they did that but it had something to do with some drivers not liking the design for whatever reason. I don't know if that's since been fixed.

Corbeau Forza is a good choice for larger drivers but it isn't the prettiest. I've only sat in one for 5 minutes at a time (auto-x) but I found it comfortable. YMMV. I'd like to try out a Recaro Pole Position for my Miata one day. Most people like the Sparco Evo series but anything larger than standard will require trimming and a 36"-38" waist will need the Evo L.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually kinda thinking about a cobra imola also, need to find one close so I can test it out

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
The Imola I sat in (in Jimmy's FujiRacing car) was GREAT, but I have a 32" waist, so I can't tell you how it'll fit. The Sparco Evo was very comfy too, but like Kyle indicated, it'll take some cutting (mostly at the shoulder wings--you won't even notice without touching it if you do it right).

Let me know if you do a fixed mount...I've been wanting to do one on my Axis seat.

·
Registered
668 Posts
My friend and I made some flush mounts to mount my Kirkey directly to the floor.
High grade hardware and body washers.
The front mount is angled to match the seat bottom and has a capture but to make mounting easy! :)
I need to find the photos...

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
My friend and I made some flush mounts to mount my Kirkey directly to the floor.
High grade hardware and body washers.
The front mount is angled to match the seat bottom and has a capture but to make mounting easy! :)
I need to find the photos...
I'm curious :)

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like I might be getting a pro street drag kirkey local, well see how it fits

·
Registered
668 Posts
I'm 6'1"

1 Get the seat in the car and see which stock seat mount needs to go.. I cut the rear ones out and left the front. Cut them totally out so the seat will sit flat on the ground.

2 "adjust" trans tunnel, hammer.

This is the bolt/wash for the angle mount. x2 (other side not pictured)

This is and angled mount welded to a plate w. a capture nut for the bolt/wash previously pictured. x2 (other side not pictured)

This is under the car the plate to mount the rear of the seat.. which is flat. Just a bolt/plate/washers/bolt/nut.
This is the same for the front angled mounts except 2 bolts used on corners. x4

Pretty much the most room you can get.. I love the position. A good 3+ inches lower than stock and the seat is like a glove on track.

The rear brace you can buy online. Plate/rod/bar clamp design. This is more perminant and can be spaced if you need to move the seat an inch or two forward.
Tube notched, plate matching contour of seat, flush mount hardware. (not to dent hemet/head) :)

So basically get the seat in the car and mark where you like it.
Cut/bang whatever's in the way.
Drill the rear (flat) to mounting holes through the seat and the floor pan of the car.
Then work on making/getting the front angled mounts just right.

Very crude I guess... but metal, welder, hardware, racecar = job done.

·
Esteemed Member
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
thanks for the help!!, Ill work on mine sometime this week when I have some time

·
Registered
668 Posts
You CAN* mount it to the factory sliders.. I have one on the pass side to scare friends on lapping days. Only thing is it's a little bit of a narrow attachment area (you'll see) and you'll def want to secure the seat back somehow or the thing will be a rocking chair.
You'll see what I mean when you take your sliders off the stockies and start playing around.
gl

·
Mufasa in Training
32,661 Posts
Man...I wish I had a cage! They fit the driver's seat a LOT better than my HDHC :(

1 - 20 of 20 Posts